|“||Damaged bloons spray out a cone of sharp shrapnel.||”|
|~ In-game description|
Shrapnel Shot is the second upgrade of Path 2 for the Sniper Monkey in Bloons TD 6. It causes bloons damaged by the Sniper's bullet to send out 5 sharp fragments, similar to the Bomb Shooter's Frag Bombs upgrade, but in a 45° cone shape as opposed to a full 360°. Each piece of shrapnel deals 1 damage per bloon (more with Path 1 upgrades) onto up to two bloons (more with Supply Drop and Elite Sniper), though sprays of shrapnel can deal more damage if close enough to nearby bloons. Note that shrapnel does not deal damage to the bloon hit by the bullet, making this upgrade not so effective for doing single target damage.
Upgrading with Large Calibre increases the damage of each shrapnel piece to 2 instead of 1, Deadly Precision will increase the damage of each shrapnel piece to 4, upgrading it to Maim MOAB will increase it to 6, and Cripple MOAB will increase it to 12. Purchasing any Path 1 upgrade (including Full Metal Jacket) will allow shrapnel pieces to pop Frozen and Lead. Shrapnel spawned from Maim MOAB or Cripple MOAB additionally stuns and cripples affected blimps, respectively but only 66% duration.
Shrapnel Shot retains the goggles and blue beret of Night Vision Goggles, whilst adding a yellow explosion symbol to the beret, granting the monkey a dark green camo pattern jacket, and painting the end of the barrel light green with a yellow stripe.
The barrel paint and explosion symbol are retained on higher tier crosspaths.
Shrapnel Shot causes every shot from the Sniper to generate 5 chunks of shrapnel in a 45° cone centered on the angle the Sniper made the shot from; each shrapnel chunk deals 1 damage with 2 pierce, increasing with top crosspathing. (Full Metal Jacket also grants shrapnel Normal type, allowing for any bloon to be popped)
Shrapnel can accept external buffs, including pierce buffs.
Shrapnel Shot targets bloons using the standard targeting priorities. It shoots a snipe attack.
- First: Targets the first bloon visible within its range.
- Last: Targets the last bloon visible within its range.
- Close: Targets the closest bloon visible within its range.
- Strong: Targets the strongest bloon visible within its range.
- Updated as of Version 32.0. Listed prices exclude external buffs, any sacrifices, and Monkey Knowledge.
Shrapnel Shot is an upgrade that addresses what was historically one of the most critical flaws of the Sniper Monkey, in that they lacked any form of grouped popping power and was often overwhelmed because of its single targeting capabilities, frequently causing bloons to split into large groups of their children layers that flustered the Sniper. In such a scenario, Shrapnel Shot can take out one bloon directly as well as pop several other bloons indirectly, making such bloon swarms less of a hassle.
A Shrapnel Shot Sniper Monkey orients them more as a global-ranged limited grouped bloon popper. Different crosspaths or further upgrades will improve the grouped-popping potential in very different ways for the Sniper. Although limited to either high shrapnel damage at the cost of slow attack speed or more frequent shrapnel at the cost of low single-target damage, both options provide an adequate specialization for the Sniper versus grouped bloons. The Path 1 upgrades Large Calibre and Deadly Precision purely improve damage, while the Maim MOAB and Cripple MOAB upgrades allowing the shrapnel to apply stun effects to multiple blimps. Faster attack speed from the Path 3 upgrades allows the pure shrapnel to be shot at a faster rate. And lastly, further upgrading on Path 2 Bouncing Bullet allows the bullet to hit multiple bloons, help point the shrapnel against the direction of bloons, and can produce multiple shrapnel sprays per bullet hit.
- Upgrade to Bouncing Bullet to utilize Shrapnel Shots to their highest pierce potential.
- Try using this upgrade with Upper Path 3 (Semi-Automatic, Full Auto Rifle, or Elite Defender), as their high attack speeds allow more shrapnel to spawn, thereby increasing overall DPS. Additionally, this makes those Snipers far more usable with buffs such as Berserker Brew or Stronger Stimulant.
- Upgrading with Upper Path 1 (Deadly Precision, Maim MOAB, Cripple MOAB) is a viable option for chipping away the damage of multiple densely packed bloons, but for most occasions it is better off using Even Faster Firing over Shrapnel Shot for those upgrades if going for purely damage.
- Adding Shrapnel Shot to Maim MOAB and Cripple MOAB allows the Sniper to stun multiple blimps per shot as long as the shrapnel damages them.
- 0-2-2 is decent as a general attacker, while 1-2-0 is decent for taking down early Leads, including those on Rounds 37 and 38 where the Leads are mixed with Zebras.
- The shrapnel flies in a cone away from the impact direction. While this can cause all the shrapnel to fly away from the track, if the sniper has Bouncing Bullet the shrapnel from the bounces often goes along the track, dealing more damage. Otherwise, properly position the Sniper such that the shrapnel direction points in a favorable direction, especially so that the shrapnel can hit bloons behind its target bloon.
- This upgrade may backfire when a shrapnel accidentally hits a bloon that spawns more than one children (e.g. Rainbow Bloons); the amount of bloons will duplicate, sometimes causing the Sniper to take more than one shot to wipe the bloons out. Either give the Sniper more attack speed or add additional defenses.
- Prior to v17.0, Shrapnel Shot would only activate upon a bloon being fully popped and send the shrapnel out in all directions. The above changes were made likely to improve mid-path crosspathing.
- When not crossed with the first path, the shrapnel does more damage than the main bullet. This is most evident when a well-placed 0-2-5 Elite Defender is fighting the MOABs from a popped BFB; the leading MOAB is the last to pop.