|“||Damaged bloons spray out a cone of sharp shrapnel.||”|
|~ BTD6 description as of Version 17.0|
Shrapnel Shot is the second upgrade of Path 2 for the Sniper Monkey in BTD6. It allows all bloons popped by the Sniper Monkey to send out 5 sharp fragments, similar to a the Bomb Shooter's Frag Bombs upgrade, but in a cone shape as opposed to a full 360-degrees. Each piece of shrapnel deals 1 damage per bloon up to two bloons, though sprays of shrapnel can deal more damage if close enough to nearby bloons. Upgrading with Large Calibre increase the damage of each sharpnel piece to 2 instead of 1, Deadly Precision will increase the damage of each shrapnel piece to 4, upgrading it to Maim MOAB will increase it to 6, and Cripple MOAB will increase it to 12.
It costs $380 on Easy, $450 on Medium, $485 on Hard, and $540 on Impoppable.
- Do go for upgrading to Bouncing Bullet to utilize Shrapnel Shots to their highest pierce potential.
- Try using this upgrade with Upper Path 3 (Semi-Automatic, Full Auto Rifle, or Elite Defender), as their high attack speeds allow more shrapnel to spawn, thereby increasing overall DPS. Additionally, this makes those Snipers far more usable with buffs such as Berserker Brew or Stronger Stimulant.
- Upgrading with Upper Path 1 (Deadly Precision, Maim MOAB, Cripple MOAB) is a viable option for chipping away the damage of multiple densely packed bloons, but for most occasions it's better off using Even Faster Firing over Shrapnel Shot for those upgrades.
Shrapnel Shot is an upgrade that identifies one of the most critical flaws of the Sniper Monkey, in that he lacks any form of grouped popping power and is often overwhelmed because of its single targeting capabilities, frequently causing bloons to split into large groups of their children layers that flusters the Sniper. In such a scenario, Shrapnel Shot can take out one bloon directly as well as pop several other bloons indirectly.
However, this comes as a far-cry to a viable solution, as the Path 2 of the Sniper Monkey tends to be the least powerful in the long run. At the benefit for Camo detection and Shrapnel Shot, the player loses out on increasing the Sniper Monkey's damage by a considerable amount or increasing firing speed to increase general DPS, the combination of both being an ideal Sniper. Where a 2/0/2 Sniper has a decent fire rate and high damage for a single target, a x/2/x Sniper loses out on either fire rate to diminish the utility of Shrapnel Shot or loses the high damage to make popping bloons fully a hassle.
If the player must use this upgrade, both Path 1 and Path 3 have their pros and cons. Path 1 provides a harder hitting shot, allowing the monkey to maintain his role as a damage dealer to M.O.A.B. Class Bloons. Furthermore, upgrading to Deadly Precision increases the damage of the shrapnel. On the downside, the attack speed remains woefully slow without support.
Increasing the fire rate allows the Sniper to output many instances of Shrapnel Shot at the cost of low damage to single targets. However, a low damage per shot may be very hindering for a typical Sniper Monkey. Setting the targeting priority to First allows the faster fire rate and Bouncing Bullet to truly activate Shrapnel Shot to its utmost potential.
As of the 17.0 update, Shrapnel Shot now produces shrapnel regardless of whether the bloon is fully popped or not, but the shrapnel now flies in a cone away from the impact direction. While this can cause all the shrapnel to fly away from the track, if the sniper has Bouncing Bullet the shrapnel from the bounces often goes along the track, dealing more damage.
Also, this upgrade may backfire when a shrapnel accidentally hits a bloon that spawns more than one children (e.g. Rainbow Bloons), the amount of bloons will duplicate, sometimes causing the Sniper to take more than one shot to wipe the bloons out.
Version History (BTD6)Edit
- Main bullets from the Shrapnel Shot Sniper Monkey now deal +2 damage to Camo Bloons.
- Shrapnel Shot reworked to eject in a 45 degree arc instead of 360
- Shrapnel Shot now shoots 5 shrapnel pieces instead of 8.
- Shrapnel Shot now produces shrapnel once upon every attack instead of only when entire bloon is destroyed
- Crosspathing with Deadly Precision or higher now increases the damage of Shrapnel (2 for 3-2-0, 3 for 4-2-0, 5 for 5-2-0)
- Large Calibre now increases Shrapnel damage to 2 instead of 1.
- Deadly Precision now increases Shrapnel damage to 4 instead of 2.
- Maim MOAB now increases Shrapnel damage to 6 instead of 3.
- Cripple MOAB now increases Shrapnel damage to 12 instead of 5.
- Shrapnel Shot adds a yellow explosion symbol on the Sniper Monkey's beret.
- Prior to v17.0, Shrapnel Shot would only activate upon a bloon being fully popped and send the shrapnel out in all directions. The above changes were made likely to improve mid-path crosspathing.
- Additionally, the old description before Version 17.0 was "Destroyed Bloons spray out sharp shrapnel in all directions." but has been changed as of Version 17.0 to accommodate the reworked shrapnel mechanics.
- When not crossed with the first path, the shrapnel does more damage than the main bullet. This is most evident when a well placed 0-2-5 sniper is fighting the M.O.A.Bs from a popped B.F.B; the leading M.O.A.B is the last to pop.