|“||Rocket Storm ability: Sends a powerful storm of rockets in all directions.||”|
|~ BTD6 description|
Rocket Storm is the fourth upgrade of Path 2 for the Dartling Gunner in BTD6. Activating the ability produces waves of purple missiles for 9 seconds, producing waves (19 by default) of 9 missiles in a wide area that deal 6 damage each to up to 8 bloons, split among 0.467s each wave. Ability missiles move erratically and can travel past obstacles. Cooldown for the ability is 30 seconds. In addition, the upgrade gives +2 pierce to both the rockets and explosions, totalling 8 pierce for both. As the rocket itself uses up 2 pierce per bloon, this only increases the number of explosions per rocket from 3 to 4.
When crosspathed with Focused Firing, the ability missile spread is reduced by 60%.
It costs $4,080 on Easy, $4,800 on Medium, $5,185 on Hard, and $5,760 on Impoppable.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Summary[edit | edit source]
In general, Rocket Storm is a decent midgame upgrade due to the ability providing a burst of power. As the ability is affected by buffs and the main attack also benefits greatly from additional buffs, it is extremely useful to add Stronger Stimulant, Jungle Drums and Pat Fusty/Gwendolin buffs onto the Rocket Storm. It can be used in many situations, including as damage or cleanup depending on the situation. As cooldown is fairly fast, the Rocket Storm can be used multiple times on most rounds.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The ability can benefit from crosspathing. Adding Focused Firing decreases the ability missile spread, although the ability missiles are still fairly random. Adding Powerful Darts increases pierce of each ability rocket by +2.
- For most cases, crosspathing should be based off of the Hydra Rocket Pods attack; if a desired crosspathing choice works well for Hydra Rocket Pods, it should work just as well for Rocket Storm.
- Rocket Storm ability can stun bloons including MOAB-class if "Gorgon Storm" MK is bought and active. Stunned bloons become stunned for 1.0s per hit.
- Like Spike Storm or Turbo Charge, further increasing attack speed of the Rocket Storm allows more than 19 waves of 9 rockets to be released for the duration of the ability. For instance, with Overclock it can send up to a total of 32 waves of 9 rockets for the 9-second duration instead.
- Try timing the ability when larger groups of regular bloons appear, as this is where Rocket Storm ability will become a lot more effective. Be sure to point the Rocket Storm Dartling in the desired direction while its ability is activated.
- Rocket Storm ability is unaffected by Line of Sight, like Blade Maelstrom.
Other strategies[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Rocket Storm/Strategies
Version History[edit | edit source]
- 22.0 (Dartling Gunner update)
- Initial release
- Old BTD5 Bloon Area Denial System now changed into a cheaper upgrade without the triple rocket main attack but with a different rocket ability system.
- [bug fix] 041 Rocket Storm ability now correctly turns to targeted area.
- 140 Rocket storm ability spread reduction increased (-30% --> -60%)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Accuracy Comparisons[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It can be compared to the BTD5 Bloon Area Denial System, which granted additional projectiles and the ability when upgraded from Hydra Rocket Pods. The BTD6 Rocket Storm adds pierce and ability instead when upgraded from the same previous upgrade.
- In BTD6, new Bloon Area Denial System is now an entirely different upgrade, only somewhat implementing the concept of additional projectiles from the BTD5 Bloon Area Denial System.
- The Dartling Gunner appears more robotic, akin to Tech Terror. It has a similar mouth piece and glowing eyes but an angrier appearance.
- The helmet and mask of the Rocket Storm becomes more detailed. The mask worn by Rocket Storm bears some resemblance to Darth Vader from Star Wars.
- The Gunner's Rocket storm outfit looks similar to Vile in Megaman X.
- Since Arctic Wind got a price buff in Version 23.0, making Snowstorm more expensive than Arctic Wind, Rocket Storm is the only Tier 4 ability upgrade that is cheaper than its preceding Tier 3 upgrade.
- There was a bug with Rocket Storm during Version 22.0: if Rocket Storm was crosspathed with Faster Swivel, the ability was unable to change direction while firing. This did not affect M.A.D. This was fixed in Version 22.1.
- Missiles from the Rocket Storm's main attack and ability are all 2D projectiles. On the other hand, M.A.D's missiles are all 3D.