|“||Pop and Awe ability: rains explosions over the whole screen, damaging and immobilizing all bloons for a few seconds. Main attack gains additional bonus damage to stunned Bloons.||”|
|~ BTD6 description|
Pop and Awe is the final upgrade of Path 2 for the Mortar Monkey in BTD6. It grants the Mortar Monkey an ability to stun bloons and blimps, excluding BADs, at 1-second intervals 8 times during approximately 8 seconds, with bloons only moving for very short time in between. During the ability, all bloons are damaged at a rate of 20 damage per second. Cooldown for the ability is 60 seconds. It also grants the Mortar Monkey +10 damage to stunned bloons with the main attack, an increase from the +2 damage to stunned bloons from the Heavy Shells upgrade.
It costs $25,500 on Easy, $30,000 on Medium, $32,400 on Hard, and $36,000 on Impoppable.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Pop and Awe has a commander look to it, with a monkey saluting as the mortar shells get shot. The three mortars are now displayed in a line instead of a triangle position. The two lines on the mortars also look a lot bigger and sightly brighter compared to the Artillery Battery. The monkey does not have many changes, however, as only his hat is now white and the super thin yellow rim on the Artillery Battery's sleeves is gone.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Summary[edit | edit source]
Pop and Awe is usually considered a mediocre tower due to the fact that many cheaper alternatives exist. However, buffs in patch 17.0 have increased its viability to the point where it can be used in the Two Megapop Challenge (where one tower pops almost all bloons) in CHIMPS mode even on shorter maps. Striker Jones helps with its biggest problems, which are a long ability cooldown and the small blast size of its main attack. Striker Jones' stun ability also activates the increased damage on the main attack for stunned balloons (from 3 damage to 13 damage), making this an incredible combo.
Due to its price and cooldown, there may be better options for slowing bloons if you're not intentionally building around this tower. While not able to completely stun bloons, MOAB Glue and Bloon Sabotage are cheaper than Pop and Awe while providing similar slowing powers. Furthermore, multiple MOAB Glues and Bloon Sabotages can be placed for greater effectiveness than an 8 second stun. Icicle Impale also offers more consistent damage at the expense of a shorter range for the slowdown, although still at a high pierce value of 30.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- When paired with Striker Jones, Pop and Awe makes an excellent global stun tower. This will cause MOAB-class bloons to be stunned for much longer than 10 seconds, which is very useful in dire emergencies.
- In gamemodes where selling is possible, selling the Pop and Awe and buying a new one shortens the ability cooldown, providing an interesting usage of the Pop and Awe tower.
- It takes 20 seconds initial cooldown before it can be used once upgraded, however.
- The better crosspath for Pop and Awe is usually 2-5-0, as it increases blast radius and increases damage by +1. The increased accuracy is not very useful outside of while utilizing the additional stun damage at very specific locations, while Burny Stuff is very weak.
Version History (BTD6)[edit | edit source]
- Pop and Awe ability damage increased (2 -> 10)
- Pop and Awe damage per second during ability increased from 10 to 20
- Pop and Awe cost reduced ($33k --> $30k)
- Now deal +10 damage to stunned bloons with its base attack
- Explosion random deviation radius increased (18 --> 30)
- Attack speed decreased (0.2695s --> 0.27s), due to Mortar Monkey attack speed reworks
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This upgrade is currently the second Tier 5 upgrade that grants an ability, after Special Poperations.
- The global explosions animation of Pop and Awe ability is the same animation as the Bomb Blitz ability.
- The ability activation sound effect is a high-pitched bleep sound (alongside explosive shell sounds), possibly to denote the pressing of a handheld radio button.
- Before Version 17.0, the old description was "Pop and Awe Ability: Rains explosions over the whole screen, popping and immobilizing all bloons for a few seconds." but has been changed to accommodate the new changes. Strangely enough, the new description features a typo where "[...] Main attack gains additional bonus damage to [...]" where "additional" is spelled as "additonal". This page uses the correct spelling of "additional".