|“||Bloons move slowly even after thawing out.||”|
|~ In-game description|
Permafrost is the Tier 1 upgrade of Path 1 for the Ice Monkey in Bloons TD 6. Like previous versions of Permafrost, frozen bloons move 50% slower (Absolute Zero with 75% slower) after unfreezing, but this only lasts for one layer (2 with Deep Freeze, 4 with Absolute Zero). When crosspathed with any Tier 5 upgrade, including upgrading to Super Brittle, the Permafrost applies to blimps upon damaging, but with only a 25% slowdown instead of 50%. If crosspathed with Snowstorm or Absolute Zero, ability also applies for Permafrost effect. However, only Absolute Zero ability can apply for MOAB-Class Bloons slowdown effect.
This upgrade adds a light blue snowflake symbol on top of the monkey's head. The portrait for Permafrost depicts the Ice Monkey blowing cold air.
Permafrost permanently slows bloons frozen by the Ice Monkey by 50%, or 25% on MOAB-class if the Ice Monkey is a T5 tower.
Permafrost produces freezing blasts in a zone-like style. Technically, the Ice Monkey is locked on the Close targeting priority. However, for simplicity reasons, this monkey has no targeting priorities.
- Updated as of Version 31.0. Listed prices exclude buffs, sacrifices, and Monkey Knowledge.
This upgrade's prices (or included crosspath's prices) are affected by the following MK: Better Sell Deals
Permafrost is a cheap but somewhat unreliable way of slowing down bloons. As long as bloons pass by and are not hit by other towers, the Permafrost slowdown effect will last forever. This upgrade sees the most use in its effectiveness at slowing down Ceramics, especially Super Ceramics. When given to higher-tier Ice Monkeys, the Permafrost effect on MOAB-class bloons in effect clumps them up, slowing each affected blimp down permanently when hit.
- Permafrost is a cheap upgrade to purchase that slightly boosts the Ice Monkey's stalling potential. This has been utilized on harder maps for handling mid-game rushes such as Round 63.
- Unlike Glue Gunner glue, the Permafrost effect lasts permanently but lasts for only 1 layer (more with middle path upgrades) instead of the default 3 for glues.
- Permafrost can be added to Absolute Zero to clump up MOAB-class bloons.
- Generally speaking, this upgrade is not very useful for Icicle Impale because blimps on-hit reduce to a halt anyway, unless no longer hit after a while.
- The slowdown to MOAB-class bloons via any Tier 5 Ice Monkey's Permafrost effects is equal to half the amount of slowdown that Bloon Sabotage would deal. The slowdown is specifically 25%.
- Similar to its BTD5 counterpart's upgrade portrait, The official upgrade portrait for Permafrost in BTD6 depicts the Ice Monkey blowing cold air. In BTD5, however, a snowflake icon appears for the BTD5 Enhanced Freeze upgrade instead.