|“||Shoots incredibly fast.||”|
|~ In-game description|
Overdrive is the fourth-tier Path 3 upgrade for the Tack Shooter in Bloons TD 6. It allows the Tack Shooter to attack three times as fast as Tack Sprayer and pop two bloons per tack instead of one. This makes them good low-cost choices for popping MOAB-class against tight corners, and improves its overall performance against grouped bloons.
It costs $2,720 on Easy, $3,200 on Medium, $3,455 on Hard, and $3,840 on Impoppable.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
It turns the body of the Tack Shooter into a very dark gray color, along with making the tack icon on top of the Tack Shooter red. It adds a base, making the Tack Shooter taller. When Path 1 upgrades are bought, the red tack icon features additional tacks. When Path 2 upgrades are bought, Long Range Tacks flattens the top of the Tack Shooter, while Super Range Tacks mounts the Tack Shooter with a taller base.
Strategies[edit | edit source]
Summary[edit | edit source]
Overdrive is comparable to other early-to-mid game towers due to its relatively low-cost but high projectile count allowing it to benefit immensely from Alchemist buffs.
Compared to other towers serving a similar role, Overdrive is more placement-dependent, as it has short range and prefers curves and areas where it can be placed below the track to allow it to hit more bloons. It also has better MOAB damage in exchange for slightly worse bloon popping power and lack of camo detection.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Overdrive with the first path upgraded (Faster Shooting and Even Faster Shooting) is usually the better crosspath than the second path (Long Range Tacks, Super Range Tacks) as the attack speed improves the consistency and damage of its attacks.
- If placed well (e.g. directly under the track so the origin of the tacks coincides with the track), players can use these to greater effectiveness. It is especially effective on MOAB-Class Bloons because MOAB-Class Bloons have large hitboxes, allowing most of the Overdrive's tacks to hit.
- Overdrive has an extremely important and useful synergy with Stronger Stimulant as Overdrive benefits greatly from all of its bonus stats due to its high projectile count. Before purchasing the 4th Tier, Berserker Brew can be used too, though a 2/0/4 Overdrive only allows 86% uptime due to expiring within 4.3s, assuming no other attack speed buffs were added on top of the Tack Shooter.
Version History[edit | edit source]
Overdrive attack speed bonus increased (x2 --> x3)
Overdrive cost increased ($2500 --> $3200)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This upgrade is the only Path 3 Tack Shooter upgrade that doesn't involve directly increasing the number of projectiles.
- A normal Tack Shooter with Even Faster Shooting alone is slower than an Overdrive without Path 1 upgrades.
- The reason that allows this phenomenon to be explained is that the x3 attack speed from Overdrive on top of +33% attack speed from Tack Sprayer allows the attack speed bonus value to be greater than combining +33% attack speed from Faster Shooting with the +66% attack speed from Even Faster Shooting added on top.
- In the patch notes of Version 12.0, it was claimed that Overdrive's attack speed bonus was increased to 66%. What was actually implied was that the attack cooldown was reduced to 33% of the Tack Sprayer's attack cooldown instead of 50%, not that the Overdrive now has an attack speed rate 66% faster than normal.
- The Overdrive price nerf in Version 13.0 was done exactly as how MOAB Glue was price nerfed in Version 4.0.
- This upgrade is one of few upgrades that attacks exactly 3x faster than their predecessors, the others being Semi-Automatic and Glue Hose.
- The Instamonkey icon for Overdrive lacks the red tack icon on the top of the Tack Shooter.
- This upgrade resembles the "hypersonic tack shooter" glitch from Bloons TD 1, however, this is likely a coincidence.
- The upgrade icon for Overdrive displays 8 tacks instead of 16.