- "Overclock" redirects here. For the BTD5 counterpart, see Overclock (BTD5).
|“||Overclock Ability: Target Monkey becomes super powered for a short time.||”|
|~ Upgrade description in BTD6.|
Overclock is the 4th upgrade of Path 2 for the Monkey Engineer in BTD6. It comes with an ability that increases the attack speed of the target tower by 66% for up to 60 seconds (45 seconds for a tower between $15,000-$40,000, or 30 seconds for any Overclocked tower that costs greater than $40,000), and grant a +25% range boost to a Monkey Village for up to 60 seconds. But if the ability is used on a Banana Farm, it will double the amount of bananas produced or multiply the cash added by a Monkey Bank or a Marketplace by 2x, for a total of double the original amount of cash each turn. There is a cooldown of 45 seconds for each Overclock usage.
It costs $11,475 on Easy, $13500 on Medium, $14,580 on Hard, and $16,200 on Impoppable.
Overclock is one of the most essential support towers for the mid-to-late game, especially on CHIMPS. For a relatively low cost, it can be used to boost attack speed of any tower by up to 66%, or increase range by 50% or Banana Farm income by 100%. Most of the time on CHIMPS, this tower should be used on your highest DPS tower, in order to make the most of its attack speed boosts. Note that towers with a pricetag of more than $40,000 may require more than one Overclock in order to have full uptime, but it is usually safe otherwise to keep on using the ability whenever it becomes available.
- Good candidates for use of Overclock are usually your main DPS tower.
- Overclock amplifies buffs previously on the target tower, such as effectively doubling the effectiveness of Poplust on Avatar of Wrath.
- Heroes get 133% uptime from Overclock, making them easy Overclock targets.
- Crosspaths do not matter much for Overclock, but it is usually better off going for 0-4-2 to avoid Sentries becoming accidentally Overclocked instead of a more desired target.
- Avoid quitting the game while the Overclock ability is on cooldown, as all Overclock abilities do not save through rounds.
- It costs $16740 ($14580 + $865 + $215 + $595 + $485) on Hard to afford a 0-4-0 Overclock.
Overclock attack speed buff reduced from +100% → +66% (Monkey Farms remain at 100%)
Overclock can now be targeted by Techbot
- In BTD6, the Overclocked towers are indicated by green orbiting comets of energy rotating anticlockwise.
- In BTD6, Overclock can overclock itself, similar to BMC Flash and BTD5 Deluxe. In BTD5 Mobile and other mobile versions, Overclock cannot overclock himself.
- Before Version 16.0, Tech Bot is not able to target an Overclock Engineer. But it was still possible to use it on an Ultraboost Tower, and it will automatically reapply the ability on the previous targetted tower.
- Starting in Version 16.0, Overclock can be linked by a Tech Bot. It will work in the same way as a linked Ultraboost.
- While an Overclock can increase the cash generated by Banana Farm, it cannot increase the cash generated by Monkeyopolis Village directly. However, the range boost of the village might give some extra space to absorb more Farms then usual.
- The old description used to be "...for 60 seconds", but has since been changed to "...for a short time" as of Version 13.0 due to accuracy reasons.
- On Version 13.0, it was stated that Overclock's attack speed dropped from 100% to 66%, but it was never actually incorporated into the game. On Version 14.0, however, the nerf to 66% bonus attack speed (not 80%, unlike the description for Version 14.0's official patch notes) is incorporated into the game.
- Version 14.0's official patch notes has an error regarding the Overclock attack speed boost nerf. The nerfed attack speed boost was actually from +100% to +66% instead of to +80%; this mistake is likely due to a confusion between the concepts of attack cooldown (i.e. for the multiplicative increase/decrease for an attack per unit time) and attack speed (i.e. for the percentage increase/decrease for the numbers of attacks per second). This discrepancy was explained on the official BTD6 subreddit here.