- "Overclock" redirects here. For the BTD5 counterpart, see Overclock (BTD5).
|“||Overclock Ability: Target Monkey becomes super powered for a short time.||”|
|~ Upgrade description in BTD6.|
Overclock is the 4th upgrade of Path 2 for the Monkey Engineer in BTD6. It comes with an ability that increases the attack speed of the target tower by 66% for between 30 seconds and 105 seconds (60 seconds as the basis, T0 +75% duration, T1 +50% duration, T2 +25% duration, T4 -25% duration, T5 -50% duration), and grant a +25% range boost to a Monkey Village for up to 60 seconds. But if the ability is used on a Banana Farm, it will increase the amount of bananas produced or multiply the cash added by a Monkey Bank or a Marketplace by 1.66x, rounded up, for a total of 1.66x the original amount of cash each round while the ability is active.
Duration for Overclock in combination with normal towers depends on the boosted tower's upgrade of the highest tier. Duration lasts for the following tiers:
- Base tower: 105 seconds
- Tier 1: 90 seconds
- Tier 2: 75 seconds
- Tier 3: 60 seconds
- Tier 4: 45 seconds
- Tier 5: 30 seconds
In combination with Heroes, however, the "tier" mechanics works in a different way, where every 4th level counts as a higher tier from Tier 0, up to Tier 5 with Level 20.
There is a cooldown of 45 seconds for each Overclock usage.
It costs $11,475 on Easy, $13500 on Medium, $14,580 on Hard, and $16,200 on Impoppable.
Overclock is one of the most essential support towers for the mid-to-late game, especially on CHIMPS. For a relatively low cost, it can be used to boost attack speed of any tower by up to 66%, or increase range by 50% for Monkey Villages or Banana Farm income by 66%. Most of the time on CHIMPS, this tower should be used on your highest DPS tower, in order to make the most of its attack speed boosts. Note that Tier 5 towers or Level 20 Heroes may require more than one Overclock in order to have full uptime, but it is usually safe otherwise to keep on using the ability whenever it becomes available.
- Good candidates for use of Overclock are usually your main DPS tower.
- Overclock amplifies buffs previously on the target tower, such as effectively doubling the effectiveness of Poplust on Avatar of Wrath.
- Crosspaths do not matter much for Overclock, but it is usually better off going for 0-4-2 to avoid Sentries becoming accidentally Overclocked instead of a more desired target.
- It costs $16580 ($14580 + $865 + $380 + $270 + $485) on Hard to afford a 0-4-0 Overclock.
- Because of the new Overclock tier-based duration rework in Version 21.0, the Overclock ability is very strong with any tower up to Tier 4, as there is pretty much 100% uptime for said ability, with the 45 second cooldown versus the 45 second duration.
Overclock attack speed buff reduced from +100% → +66% (Monkey Farms remain at 100%)
- This was documented in the patch notes as a nerf from +100% to +80%, but this was inaccurate.
- Version 14.0's official patch notes has an error regarding the Overclock attack speed boost nerf. The nerfed attack speed boost was actually from +100% to +66% instead of to +80%; this mistake is likely due to a confusion between the concepts of attack cooldown (i.e. for the multiplicative increase/decrease for an attack per unit time) and attack speed (i.e. for the percentage increase/decrease for the numbers of attacks per second).
- Some extra details about this discrepancy were explained on the official BTD6 subreddit here.
- Tested on Version 19.2, Banana Farm's production buff is 66% instead of 100%. It is unknown if this is a bug.
Overclock can now be targeted by Techbot
Overclock ability active buff state will now be included in save files
- Overclock ability is reworked to operate on a tier basis rather than a cost basis:
- T5 duration is now always 30 seconds
- T4 duration is now always 45 seconds
- T3 duration is now always 60 seconds
- T2 duration is now always 75 seconds
- T1 duration is now always 90 seconds
- T0 duration is now always 105 seconds
- Hero duration is based on X/4, where X is level, starting from Level 0 (i.e. Level 1-3 is T0, Level 4-7 is T1, Level 8-11 is T2, Level 12-15 is T3, Level 16-19 is T4, Level 20 is T5)
- In BTD6, the Overclocked towers are indicated by green orbiting comets of energy rotating anticlockwise.
- In BTD6, Overclock can overclock itself, similar to BMC Flash and BTD5 Deluxe. In BTD5 Mobile and other mobile versions, Overclock cannot overclock himself.
- Before Version 16.0, Tech Bot is not able to target an Overclock Engineer. But it was still possible to use it on an Ultraboost Tower, and it will automatically reapply the ability on the previous targetted tower.
- Starting in Version 16.0, Overclock can be linked by a Tech Bot. It will work in the same way as a linked Ultraboost.
- While an Overclock can increase the cash generated by Banana Farm, it cannot increase the cash generated by Monkeyopolis Village directly. However, the range boost of the village might give some extra space to absorb more Farms then usual.
- The old description used to be "...for 60 seconds", but has since been changed to "...for a short time" as of Version 13.0 due to accuracy reasons.
- Prior to Version 21.0, the Overclock upgrade worked on a cost basis (i.e. <$15,000 lasts for 60 seconds, $15,000-$40,000 for 45 seconds, and $40,000+ lasts for 30 seconds). This was changed as of Version 21.0 to a tier basis.