|“||Monkey Buccaneer is a powerful mid-level tower for a good price. However, they can only be placed on water.||”|
|~ Round 41 on Bloons Tower Defense 4|
|“||Monkey Buccaneers can only be placed in water. They shoot a single heavy dart. Upgrades include Grape Shot, Crow's Nest and Battleship.||”|
|~ Description upon unlocking in BTD4|
|“||Shoots a single, heavy dart from both sides of the ship. Must be placed in water.||”|
|~ Bloons Tower Defense 6 description|
The Monkey Buccaneer is a tower introduced in Bloons Tower Defense 4. It is an all-rounder tower with a decent rate of fire, firing 60 shots per minute for a good price ($510/$595/$650). Monkey Buccaneers are operated by a monkey. However, it can only be placed in water. Since some tracks do not have water, strategies involving Monkey Buccaneers will not succeed. Depending on the map, it may be able to solo several rounds with the Battleship upgrade. It also makes an appearance in Bloons TD 5, it can be placed in water as well as in the Portable Lake.
- 1 BTD4 Upgrades
- 2 Bloons TD 5
- 3 Differences between BTD5 Flash and BTD5 Mobile
- 4 Update History (Bloons TD Battles Mobile)
- 5 Bloons Tower Defense 6
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Trivia
BTD4 Upgrades[edit | edit source]
Grape Shot[edit | edit source]
Grape Shot allows the Monkey Buccaneer to shoot sharpened grapes at bloons. Once upgraded to this, every time the Monkey Buccaneer shoots, it shoots 4 grapes along with the dart. At sometime though, on a BTD5 update, grape shot's price went up, due to its pierce becoming 2, instead of one. The complete list of updates and discussion can be found here
Flash Prices: $255/$300/$325
iOS Prices: $435/$500/$540
Crow's Nest[edit | edit source]
Longer Cannons[edit | edit source]
Longer Cannons increases the Monkey Buccaneer's range by a bit.
Battleship[edit | edit source]
Battleship increases fire rate by 3x, destroying many more Bloons. Total domination.
Dreadnaught[edit | edit source]
Dreadnaught is a premium upgrade purchasable since BTD4; the Monkey Buccaneer shoots flaming cannonballs that pops frozen and Lead Bloons instead of darts. Apart from being able to pop bloons it normally cannot, it has no other change besides its appearance.
Bloons TD 5[edit | edit source]
Please note that, while there are two separate paths, the player chooses a path when the third upgrade in a path is purchased. After you have bought the third upgrade in a path, you may only buy the first two upgrades in the other path.
Much longer range.
|*if you pass this upgrade you will be locked for the 3rd and 4th upgrades on the other path|
Attacks super duper fast!
Rapidly launches Monkey Ace pilots that strafe the area with darts.
|Total Sell Amount||$12,448
($12,960 with path 2 upgrades)
($15,244 with path 2 upgrades)
($16,460 with path 2 upgrades)
|$17,572 ($18,292 with path 2 upgrades)|
($16,175 with path 2 upgrades)
($19,030 with path 2 upgrades)
($20,550 with path 2 upgrades)
($22,835 with path 2 pgrades)
Sprays out a blast of 4 sharp grapes for additional poppage.
Allows the buccaneer to detect and target Camo bloons. Does not grant detection to other towers.
|*if you pass this upgrade you will be locked for the 3rd and 4th upgrades on the other path|
Adds a powerful, independently firing cannon to the buccaneer.
MOAB Takedown Ability: Grabs hold of the nearest M.O.A.B. Class Bloon and destroys it, ZOMG Bloons are immune to this.
|Total Sell Amount||$4,744
($5,140 with path 1 upgrades)
($6,044 with path 1 upgrades)
($6,524 with path 1 upgrades)
|$6,696 ($7,252 with path 1 upgrades)|
($6,400 with path 1 upgrades)
($7,530 with path 1 upgrades)
($8,130 with path 1 upgrades)
($9,035 with path 1 upgrades)
Differences between BTD5 Flash and BTD5 Mobile[edit | edit source]
Bombs fired from the Cannon Ship have smaller explosions.
Base cost is more expensive ($500 → $525).
Aircraft Carrier is weaker (particularly against Regrows).
MOAB Takedown Ability (Monkey Pirates Ability) takes less time to take down a bloon (4.0s → 0.5s), and still continues its normal shooting during the ability.
Cannon Ship bombs can be duplicated if the Buccaneer is under the influence of Monkey Fort.
Update History (Bloons TD Battles Mobile)[edit | edit source]
The Monkey Buccaneer is a fairly balanced tower, though at times it has been given a reasonable number of buffs. Some popular loadouts include Buccaneer Farm Apprentice (arguably the most popular loadout out of the ones listed, especially on maps like Swan Lake and Hydro Dam), Buccaneer Farm Boomerang, Buccaneer Farm Mortar, Buccaneer Farm Bomb and Buccaneer Apprentice Boomerang.
Aircraft Carrier price decreased ($15000 → $9000).
Tower price decreased ($525 → $450).
Destroyer price decreased ($2200 → $1500).
Grape Shot price increased ($500 → $550).
Aircraft Carrier price decreased ($9000 → $7000).
Cannon Ship bombs no longer duplicate when the Monkey Buccaneer is under the influence of Monkey Fort.
Bloons Tower Defense 6[edit | edit source]
The Buccaneer returns in BTD6, functioning much the same as its previous incarnations. However, one key improvement is that the Buccaneer gains the ability to fire both cannons at once, allowing the tower to shoot in opposite directions and up to doubling its firepower.
This tower also gains special upgrades that allow it to fill more roles than just standard popping power, with Hot Shots functioning as early-game Lead Bloon popping power, and Merchantman and its further upgrades acting as aquatic-based Banana Farms.
The Monkey Buccaneer is classed as a Military Category tower.
Path 1[edit | edit source]
|Total Sell Amount||
Tier 4: $7,942
Tier 5: $22,817
Tier 4: $9,345
Tier 5: $26,845
Tier 4: $10,094
Tier 5: $28,994
Tier 4: $11,214
Tier 5: $32,214
Tier 4: $11,345
Tier 5: $32,595
Tier 4: $13,350
Tier 5: $38,350
Tier 4: $14,420
Tier 5: $41,420
Tier 4: $16,020
Tier 5: $46,020
Path 2[edit | edit source]
(6 with Big Bunch)
|Total Sell Amount||
Tier 4: $4,137
Tier 5: $16,632
Tier 4: $4,865
Tier 5: $19,565
Tier 4: $5,835
Tier 5: $21,130
Tier 4: $5,838
Tier 5: $23,478
Tier 4: $5,910
Tier 5: $23,760
Tier 4: $6,950
Tier 5: $27,950
Tier 4: $7,505
Tier 5: $30,185
Tier 4: $8,340
Tier 5: $33,540
Path 3[edit | edit source]
|Total Sell Amount||
Tier 4: $5,317
Tier 5: $19,002
Tier 4: $6,251
Tier 5: $22,351
Tier 4: $6,752
Tier 5: $24,140
Tier 4: $7,501
Tier 5: $26,821
Tier 4: $7,595
Tier 5: $27,145
Tier 4: $8,930
Tier 5: $37,930
Tier 4: $9,645
Tier 5: $34,485
Tier 4: $10,715
Tier 5: $38,315
Update History (BTD6)[edit | edit source]
- Changes from BTD5
- The Buccaneer can now shoot on both sides of itself at the same time, provided bloons are on both sides.
- Base cost increased (500 → 550)
- Base dart pierce decreased (5 --> 4)
- Grape Shot pierce decreased (2 --> 1)
- Several path's upgrades have been shifted around from BTD5 to accommodate the new 3-path system. This adds Hot Shots and Double Shot, greatly increasing the Buccaneer's early game power, but means it cannot have a long-range, camo-detecting Destroyer with Grape Shot.
- Aircraft Carrier (4+xx) now has extra pierce (5 (?) --> 9).
- Towers held by Carrier Flagship (5xx) can now see over all obstacles.
- Carrier Flagship (5xx) can no longer hold Banana Farm, Monkey Ace, or Heli Pilot.
- Carrier Flagship (5xx) now has doubled lifespan on all of its projectiles.
- Aircraft Carrier (4+xx) now keeps the Destroyer's (3xx) attack speed boost to all main boat attacks.
- Aircraft Carrier (4xx) price decreased (9000 → 7500).
- Monkey Pirates (x4x) ability cooldown reduced from every 60 seconds to every 50 seconds.
- Monkey Pirates (x4x) and Pirate Lord (x5x) cannonballs now deal 2 damage instead of 1.
- Favoured Trades (xx4+) attack speed doubled.
- Trade Empire (xx5) increases the damage of all Merchantmen (xx3+) by 1, and makes them deal 1 additional damage to ceramic and MOAB-class bloons.
- 210 Double Shot now fires twice as many Grapes.
- x4x Monkey Pirates now fires 3 cannonballs instead of 1.
- 4xx Aircraft Carrier planes each gain a homing MOAB missile with an attack rate of 3s, radius 30, pierce 3, damage 15.
- 5xx Carrier Flagship projectile speed for all plane attacks increased +100%.
- 5xx Carrier Flagship darts from planes deal increased ceramic damage +3.
- 5xx Carrier Flagship homing MOAB missiles upgraded to rate 1.5s, pierce 4, damage 30.
- 5xx Carrier Flagship's 15% attack rate buff expanded to now also benefit Monkey Ace in addition to water towers.
- 4xx Aircraft Carrier's forward dart projectile radius increased by 2.
- 5xx Carrier Flagship Missiles damage type changed from Explosive to Normal.
- xx1 Long Range increases projectile speed of all attacks by +25%.
Ninja Kiwi provided a short write-up for these changes in the 21.0 Patch Notes.
|“||Aircraft carriers have ongoing trouble with missing targets, these changes can hopefully offer a few extra ways of supporting the weakness internally while we keep investigating this.||”|
|“||Most of the early Buccaneer's strength comes from grapes, so to make it a little easier to start we've moved some cost from the base tower into Grape Shot. On that same note, we've piled on a bunch of bonus power to T5 Grape Shot to give it a boost against super ceramics.||”|
|~ Version 22.0 patch notes|
- Buccaneer base cost reduced from 550 to 500
- Grape Shot price increased from 500 to 550
- Pirate Lord grapes now deal more damage (1 --> 5)
- Pirate Lord grapes now deal +5 Ceramic damage on top of the new damage buff
Quotes[edit | edit source]
|“||Monkey Buccaneers can only be placed on water but have fast firing weapons with high pierce. Powerful upgrades include: Grape Shot, Crow's Nest, Destroyer, Monkey Pirates.||”|
|~ BMC Flash description|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In Bloons Tower Defense 5, the old artwork for the Monkey Buccaneer is now the artwork of Longer Cannons upgrade.
- In Bloons Monkey City, the Monkey Buccaneer is one of only three towers (the others being the Sniper Monkey and the Mortar Monkey (unless it's the Caves Terrain)) not to be specifically restricted on any type of tile, even though it cannot be placed on the majority of them due to no water. However, some tracks in BMC Mobile have water, allowing them to be built on those tracks.
- In Bloons Monkey City, the skull on the Buccaneer is the same skull that is on the ZOMG, just without the green eye sockets.
- Aircraft Carrier interacts strangely with speed buffs. BOTH launch speed AND Monkey Ace shot speed increase when buffed: you get 4 times the darts under CTA, and 11.9 times the darts when simultaneously under CTA, 2/X village and Overclock.
- This is one of the few towers that has a different image for each individual upgrade in BTD4.
- In Bloons TD 5 Mobile, its unupgraded and first path 1 upgrade official artwork depicts it being strict and serious.
- It only uses one set of cannons at a time, although it has two sets. This applies to BTD5-generation games only, as it can fire both cannons in BTD6.
- However, the Buccaneer can shoot from either cannon in BTD5, just not both.
- The Destroyer shoots grapes every 6 shots.
- An Aircraft Carrier gains the ability to shoot grapes everywhere on the screen although it will not turn around.
- Path 1 depicts the Buccaneer being more civilized by being a navy admiral ship, while Path 2 depicts it being barbaric by being a pirate ship.
- Path 3 in BTD6 shows the Buccaneer taking a trader's path, with Merchantman being a trading ship, and higher upgrades turning the boat into a cargo freighter.
- The Destroyer is comparable to the Epic Range Super Monkey, albeit shooting slightly slower with higher pierce and camo detection (when upgraded to 3/2).
- This tower has more range than an unupgraded Super Monkey.
- Strangely, Monkey Aces with Sharper Darts have darts with less pierce than those from the Buccaneer's even though they are smaller.
- Aircraft Carrier's Monkey Aces shoot 2 streams of darts so one dart can pierce through 5 bloons, meaning it can pop 10 Bloons every time.
- Because cells are largely composed of water, Buccaneers can be placed on the cells on the DNA Test track.
- Some of the Monkey Buccaneer's Pictures are smaller than the original picture of the ship with no upgrades.
- In the original artwork, the monkey is bailing out the boat.
- In Bloons Tower Defense 5, when placing the Monkey Buccaneer, the ship is not shown to have cannons. This doesn't happen on BTD5 Mobile, as the cannons are shown before the tower is placed.
- This is one of two towers that can be only be placed on water, other than Special Agents. The other is the Monkey Sub.
- The Cannon Ship has exactly 15% more range than the Destroyer ship.
- In Bloons Monkey City, the MOAB Takedown Ability will not give any cash for any bloons destroyed.
- In BTD5, if the MOAB Takedown Ability is used on a partially-damaged MOAB or BFB (including a damaged D.D.T.), the blimp will appear to be "restored" to its initial health state as it's being hooked. This is due to MOAB Takedown technically instantly destroying the blimp, with the animation being a cosmetic mechanic only.
- It may also be to save on stored memory, so that Ninja Kiwi doesn't have to program four different Takedown animations for each MOAB-class Bloon.
- On Park Path, it's possible for a Red Bloon to outrun a 2/3 Monkey Buccaneer if said Buccaneer is placed in the pond in the center. This is because the track circles around the center, causing the bloons to always move perpendicularly around the Buccaneer.
- There is a broken boat of a Monkey Buccaneer in the top right corner in Archipelago.