- "MOAB Mauler" redirects here. For the BTD4/5 counterpart, see MOAB Mauler (BTD4-BTD5).
|“||MOAB Maulers do much more damage to MOAB-Class Bloons and ceramics.||”|
|~ BTD6 Description|
MOAB Mauler (sometimes shortened to Mauler) is an upgrade to the Bomb Shooter in BTD6. This upgrade returns as the third upgrade of Path 2, like in BTD5. Unlike BTD5, it shoots missiles that deal +18 damage to MOAB-class bloons instead of 10 damage, along with +4 damage to Ceramics. It still deals 1 damage to other bloons. Additionally, MOAB Mauler adds +5 range on top of the Missile Launcher upgrade, for a total of 49 range.
Strategies[edit | edit source]
- Main article: MOAB Mauler/Strategies
Summary[edit | edit source]
The MOAB Mauler is a cheap option to bolster your MOAB defense mid-game. You can choose to use it as your main form of MOAB popping by using many MOAB Maulers, or buy a small amount for support. The latter is usually considered, as many good towers deal well with MOABs already, and it can be quite tedious to buy many MOAB Maulers. Consider using it, especially if when paired with Striker Jones as your active hero.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Depending on the situation, MOAB Maulers should be set to First or Strong targeting. This is because when rounds become filled with MOABs, BFBs and ZOMGs, First targeting will allow MOAB Maulers to deal some damage against the lower tier MOABs instead of constantly focusing on the largest blimp while allowing weaker blimps to leak. First Targeting may also be preferred to pop parent bloons slower and thus prevent children bloons from overwhelming a defense.
- The MOAB Mauler can be be used in tandem with the Top Path Monkey Village very well. It benefits the most from the increased range from Primary Training, the free Tier 1 upgrades and further range buffs from Primary Mentoring, and even more from Primary Expertise's free Tier 1 and 2 upgrades.
- Use Striker Jones with MOAB Maulers. They synergise well, particularly the global attack speed buffs and the removal of the black bloon property immunities and the double damage from Level 20 Artillery Command. MOAB Maulers lose a noticeable amount of value without Striker Jones.
- Striker Jones and Top Path Villages are great buffs, as they not only buff MOAB Maulers, but also affect with other towers that are great MOAB Mauler partners.
- Generally, 1-3-0 Maulers are the preferred crosspath. This is in part because Primary Mentoring can provide Bigger Bombs for free, but the pierce and blast radius are also more useful in most cases, especially against grouped bloons. The range is a small improvement against spaced blimps and may be used in some circumstances.
- The tier 2 Frag Bombs and Heavy Bombs tend to be subpar damage soon after early game, so those upgrades are generally considered unnecessary for the most part, but Heavy Bombs is still useful. The pierce of Frag Bombs is low with MOAB Maulers. On the other hand, the Heavy Bombs upgrade is good for beating densely clumped MOAB-class.
Update History[edit | edit source]
MOAB Mauler deals more damage to MOAB-class (11 --> 16)
MOAB Mauler now has increased attack speed from the Missile Launcher upgrade (every 1.2s --> 1.02s)
MOAB Mauler now deals +5 damage to Ceramics as well.
Base MOAB Mauler range increased from 44 to 49
MOAB Mauler deals more damage to MOAB-class (16 --> 19)
MOAB Mauler attacks faster (1.02s --> 0.9s)
MOAB Mauler deals less Ceramic damage (+5 --> +4)
Base MOAB Mauler pierce reduced from 18 to 14 and benefits less from the Bigger Bombs crosspath (28 --> 20)
2-3-0 MOAB Mauler deals more pierce (28 --> 30)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- MOAB Maulers cost the same as they do in BTD5.
- Version 12.0's description for MOAB Mauler has changed to include the words "...and ceramics" (in lowercase) at the end of the official description to accommodate the extra Ceramic damage buff.
- Compared to BTD5, a MOAB Mauler without crosspaths in BTD6 costs $2150 on Medium ($600 + $250 + $400 + $900), while a MOAB Mauler without crosspaths in BTD5 costs $200 more on Medium.
- Although fans anticipated an inevitable nerf for MOAB Maulers leading towards Version 20.0, MOAB Maulers only received a nerf to its Ceramic damage. Ninja Kiwi stated that this was done to make MOAB Maulers "intended to be more of a MOAB Specialist". This was because before then, a Striker Jones + MOAB Mauler spam strategy was extremely effective at both MOAB-class and Super Ceramics, but the Version 20.0 nerfs made the synergy less effective against Super Ceramics.