|“||Moab Assured Destroyer. Each missile does extreme damage to MOAB class bloons.||”|
|~ BTD6 description|
M.A.D (MOAB Assured Destroyer) is the fifth upgrade of Path 2 for the Dartling Gunner in BTD6. The main benefit comes from the main missile attacks. The main missile attacks deal much greater damage versus MOAB-class bloons, but it has significantly decreased accuracy (due to it using two arms) and a much slower fire rate. Its main missile attacks are much larger, dealing 3 damage to bloons and +750 extra damage to MOAB-class each (for a total of 753 damage per missile), and attack every 0.4s alternating each arm instead of every 0.133s.
In addition, the M.A.D improves its Rocket Storm ability further, shooting 19 waves of larger missiles for 9 seconds, split among 0.467s, and allows each each rocket storm missile explosion to damage up to 16 bloons instead of 8.
It costs $51,000 on Easy, $60,000 on Medium, $64,800 on Hard, and $72,000 on Impoppable.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Summary[edit | edit source]
The M.A.D is extremely effective at demolishing MOAB-class bloons. Even a single hit to MOAB-class bloons can fully eliminate the layers off MOABs, BFBs, and DDTs, and only a few are required to destroy much stronger bloons, even BADs.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, it is much, much weaker versus regular bloons, due to its much slower attack speed, even to the extent that its main attacks are weaker than Hydra Rocket Pods versus anything that is not a MOAB-class bloon. In a real game, pair an M.A.D with good counters to Super Ceramics, with the best examples being Prince of Darkness, The Bloon Solver, and The Biggest One.
Where there are excessive amounts of cash, the M.A.D is a good option to speed up the process of anti-stalling for purposes of quicker Round 100 Insta Reward runs, because of its extremely high MOAB-class damage without need for an ability. On CHIMPS games, however, it will be very difficult to afford the M.A.D upgrade until at least Round 90 or so, so a cheap but effective defense with Rocket Storm is necessary before then.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Unlike the previous upgrades, the M.A.D. may benefit better with 2-5-0 than 0-5-2. Although extra pierce is desirable at demolishing groups of blimps, the powerful missiles are rather inaccurate and slow. Aiming at specific targets would benefit far better with Focused Firing. Not only that, the extra shock damage from Laser Shock will help pop non MOAB-Class bloons as well.
- The M.A.D is extremely potent at MOAB-class bloons, but it is absolutely underwhelming versus Super Ceramics. It is vital to provide the M.A.D with support versus regular bloons, especially Super Ceramics.
- Not too many buffs are required to maximize the performance of the M.A.D, but basic attack speed buffs like Jungle Drums, Berserker Brew, and Overclock are often sufficient enough to maximize its massive MOAB-class damage potential.
- Only target the M.A.D. at MOAB-class bloons, as this allows it to work with its strengths. The only exception is to clean up Super Ceramics with the ability if there is no other available tower suited for cleanup.
- Note that even though this tower has exploding missiles its AOE is minimal.
Version History[edit | edit source]
- Initial release
- 0-5-2 M.A.D now (correctly) gains +1 explosion from Powerful Darts
- 1-5-0 M.A.D ability spread reduction increased (-30% --> -60%).
- M.A.D price reduced ($65k --> 60k)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The unabbreviated name for the M.A.D is "MOAB Assured Destroyer"; this is a reference to "mutually assured destruction", a form of military strategy involving the threat of full-scale destruction against both opposing sides, usually by both enemy sides gaining access to powerful nuclear weaponry.
- The technologically advanced robotic appearance of the M.A.D. resembles the destructive potential of technology, specifically of artificial intelligence, as portrayed by popular media depictions of artificial intelligence taking over the world.
- The D of M.A.D is not abbreviated with a period, unlike the M. and A.
- The M.A.D, the pilot, and the mech itself are all strong references to Vile and the Ride Armor in the Megaman X Series.
- Through hacking, the M.A.D is revealed to be the shortest of the Tier 5 Dartling Gunners in terms of 3D height. This was shown on this section on one of ISAB's videos.
- The missiles from the M.A.D are all 3D projectiles, while the missiles from Rocket Storm are all 2D.
- Technically speaking, the bonus extreme blimp damage only applies on the initial hit of each missile explosion. So therefore, each shot can apply the extreme blimp damage to up to 4 blimps, inflicting a total of around 3000 damage per shot, assuming it doesn't have pierce buffs via extra explosions.