|“||Shoots huge icicle spikes that do huge damage to MOAB-Class Bloons and freezes them.||”|
|~ BTD6 description|
Icicle Impale is the final upgrade of Path 3 for the Ice Monkey in BTD6. It allows each iceball to target and deal 50 damage to MOAB-class bloons. Each frozen MOAB-class bloon is slowed down to the speed of a ZOMG, or slowed by 50% for ZOMGs (except for the B.A.D, which cannot be slowed at all). Icicle Impale also allows the tower to pop White and Zebras directly. Additionally, Icicle Impale attacks 33% faster, increasing its default firing rate from per 1.0s to per 0.75s. Crosspathing with Permafrost also applies a permanent 25% slowdown to the outer layer of any affected MOAB-class bloons.
It costs $25,500 on Easy, $30,000 on Medium, $32,400 on Hard, $36,000 on Impoppable.
- Note that the projectiles slow down M.O.A.B-Class Bloons to a constant amount rather than a percentage which means that the slowdown will be much more noticeable on M.O.A.B.s and D.D.T.s than Z.O.M.G.s. It is especially apparent on higher rounds where they gain increased health and speed.
Icicle Impale holds a unique place as a tower that solos DDTs and does very good damage to blimps in general. It also clumps up bloons, which may be useful to certain towers to help utilise their full pierce potential.
It can sometimes be a bit costly to certain strategies due to its high price tag of $32k (at least on Hard Difficulty), but that depends on the strategy being used.
- Since it can slow MOAB-class bloons down to a halt, it can serve helpful against rounds such as Round 85, 90, 97, and 98 (plus Rounds 90, 93, 95, and 99 if given camo detection).
- When given camo detection and placed in a good close or straight-line spot, it makes a good counter to DDTs. If near Monkey Intelligence Bureau or influenced by a lead-popping grant (Metal Freeze upgrade, Acidic Mixture Dip, or Gwendolin with Heat It Up effect), it can even destroy DDTs with little problem.
- It's usually better to invest in 0-2-5 Ice Monkey over a 2-0-5 Ice Monkey, as although it can't directly damage lead bloons or detect camo bloons (both apply for DDTs) without support from other towers, it can provide a very valuable slowing effect on MOAB-class Bloons, especially in stages containing large numbers of MOAB-class bloons, meaning it's best to have a faster attack speed to catch fast MOAB-class bloons like DDTs than being able to directly damage Lead bloons and DDTs.
- It is worth noting that crosspathing Icicle Impale with Permafrost allows it to permanently apply a 25% slowdown to all affected MOAB-class bloons. However, since Icicle Impale would likely be fast enough to slow them down to a halt anyway, it's usually better off going for a 0-2-5 Icicle Impale.
- M.O.A.B. Class Bloons that are slowed by the attacks count as frozen, so they become immune to sharp projectiles, so plan ahead and invest in towers/upgrades that can pop frozen Bloons.
- Because of its ability to easily counter DDTs for its moderate cost, this tower makes a very good choice for Impoppable and CHIMPS strategies.
Icicle Impale no longer damages Lead Bloons or DDTs without Metal Freeze.
Icicle Impale can now pop and freeze White and Zebra Bloons.
Crosspathing Icicle Impale with Permafrost allows it to apply the Permafrost effect to all MOAB-class bloons affected by ice blasts, although the Permafrost effect is 25% instead of 50% for MOAB-class.
- Prior to version 2.0, even if the Icicle Impale did not have Metal Freeze, it could still freeze and damage D.D.Ts with Camo Bloon detection.
- On certain Daily Challenges that specifically have decreased MOAB-class bloon speed, Icicle Impale can actually speed up MOAB-class bloons (except ZOMG, which will move at 50% speed, and BADs, which can't be slowed at all), due to the frozen status applying a set speed to such bloon types.
- The upgrade icon for Icicle Impale is a MOAB impaled by a large icicle spike.