|“||Shoots huge icicle spikes that do huge damage to MOAB-Class Bloons and freezes them.||”|
|~ BTD6 description|
Icicle Impale is the final upgrade of Path 3 for the Ice Monkey in BTD6. It allows each iceball to target and deal 50 damage to MOAB-class bloons. Each frozen MOAB-class bloon is slowed down to the speed of a normal speed ZOMG, or slowed by 50% for ZOMGs (except for the BAD, which cannot be slowed at all). This unique slowdown versus non-ZOMG blimps becomes far more apparent on higher rounds.
Icicle Impale also allows the tower to pop White and Zebras directly. Additionally, Icicle Impale attacks 33% faster (or 0.75x attack cooldown reduction), increasing its default firing rate from per 1.0s to per 0.75s. Crosspathing with Permafrost also applies a permanent 25% slowdown to the outer layer of any affected MOAB-class bloons.
Icicle Impale holds a unique place as a tower that solos DDTs and does very good damage to blimps in general. It also clumps up bloons, which may be useful to certain towers to help utilise their full pierce potential.
It can sometimes be a bit costly to certain strategies due to its high price tag of $32k (at least on Hard Difficulty), but that depends on the strategy being used.
- Since it can slow MOAB-class bloons down to a halt, it can serve helpful against rounds such as Round 85, 90, 97, and 98 (plus Rounds 90, 93, 95, and 99 if given camo detection).
- When given camo detection, placed in a good close or straight-line spot, and near Monkey Intelligence Bureau or influenced by a lead-popping grant (Metal Freeze upgrade, Acidic Mixture Dip, or Gwendolin with Heat It Up effect), it makes a good counter to DDTs.
- It is worth noting that crosspathing Icicle Impale with Permafrost allows it to permanently apply a 25% slowdown to all affected MOAB-class bloons. However, since Icicle Impale would likely be fast enough to slow them down to a halt anyway, it's usually better off going for a 0-2-5 Icicle Impale.
- M.O.A.B. Class Bloons that are slowed by the attacks count as frozen, so they become immune to sharp projectiles, so plan ahead and invest in towers/upgrades that can pop frozen Bloons.
- Prior to version 2.0, even if the Icicle Impale did not have Metal Freeze, it could still freeze and damage DDTs with Camo Bloon detection.
- On certain Daily Challenges that specifically have decreased MOAB-class bloon speed, Icicle Impale can actually speed up MOAB-class bloons (except ZOMG, which will move at 50% speed, and BADs, which can't be slowed at all), due to the frozen status applying a set speed to such bloon types.
- The upgrade icon for Icicle Impale is a MOAB impaled by a large icicle spike.
- Despite what the patch notes mentioned regarding Cryo Cannon pierce not being affected by the change, Cryo Cannon and its subsequent upgrades actually received a pierce buff from 20 to 30. This also affects the Icicle Impale upgrade.