- "Ground Zero" redirects here. For the BTD5 counterpart, see Ground Zero (BTD5).
|“||Bomb damage increased significantly. Ground Zero Ability: Drops a huge bomb that destroys most things on screen.||”|
|~ BTD6 Upgrade Description|
Ground Zero, is the 4th upgrade on Path 2 for the Monkey Ace in BTD6. Similar to the BTD5 Ground Zero, the Ground Zero upgrade in BTD6 adds a new ability that deals 700 damage to all bloons on the screen, twice the damage compared to how it did in BTD5. In addition to an added ability, the Ground Zero plane now drops improved Bomber Ace bomb arrays that deal 10 damage per bomb. The bomb arrays still cannot pop Black Bloon properties, but the ability bomb does.
It costs $11,900 on Easy, $14,000 on Medium, $15,120 on Hard, and $16,800 on Impoppable.
The Operation: Dart Storm is no longer on the same path as the Ground Zero, and instead that upgrade is a Tier 4 upgrade of its own.
Ground Zero is a green military-style monoplane. Shown in the upgrade artwork is the plane dropping a green-and-black nuclear bomb. Unlike in BTD5, which appeared as black-colored B-2 Spirit Bomber, the Ground Zero plane resembles a Boeing B-29 Superfortress instead, to appear in line with the airborne explosives upgrade theme.
As the new description of Ground Zero reads, the bomb arrays now deal 10 damage instead of 3, a significantly higher increase compared to the Bomber Ace's bomb arrays, although these same bombs still cannot affect bloons with Black Bloon properties (unless with Monkey Intelligence Bureau or Striker Jones Level 5+).
The Ground Zero upgrade also comes with an ability that deals 700 damage to all bloons on the screen. One use of this ability is enough to pop all non-fortified MOABs and non-fortified DDTs before Round 101. Just like in BTD5, Super Monkey Storm can be used instead, but it costs much more Monkey Money to purchase Super Monkey Storms than in BTD5. Note that there is an initial cooldown of 15 seconds before initial activation.
Each Ground Zero will have a cooldown of 45 seconds upon activation, along with approximately 1.5 seconds before the special Ground Zero bomb explodes on impact.
The landing base will have green borders upon purchasing the upgrade.
- When it comes to optimal crosspathing, this upgrade benefits the most from the Rapid Fire crosspath, as this upgrade will allow the Ground Zero to produce arrays of bombs much faster, from every 1.7s to every 1.02s.
- The Ground Zero bomb arrays deal massive damage compared to Bomber Ace. As such, it is an excellent option for beating mid-game, but does require a decent amount of supporting towers due to the general unreliability of each of the bomb arrays.
- Make sure to watch out for the 0.8s time delay before the Ground Zero nuke explodes after activating the ability. Prepare the ability before the bloons reach the exit.
- Several Ground Zeroes can be used to beat rounds with regular DDTs easily. Two or three of these abilities with a slight delay between each Ground Zero ability usage may be required to beat Round 95. Two simultaneous Ground Zero abilities may be required to beat Round 99's Fortified DDTs.
The Ground Zero upgrade is substantially stronger in BTD6 compared to in BTD5. Instead of producing regular 16-dart volleys and explosive pineapples, like the older version of Ground Zero, it produces regular arrays of bombs that deal a massive 10 damage each alongside relatively weaker 8-dart volleys. When micromanaged carefully by ensuring the bombs explode when the bloons do not turn into Blacks or Zebras, Ground Zero is unformidably powerful on its own, and even comes with an emergency ability that is able to deal 700 damage to all bloons on screen, enough to wipe out virtually all bloons, MOABs, and DDTs on screen. Because of its powerful versatility, a single 2-4-0 Ground Zero has been used to successfully complete multiple 2TC challenges and LCC (Lowest Cost CHIMPS) challenges.
- Initial Release
After use of the Ground Zero ability would give +8 damage for 10 seconds
Remove damage buff effect from Ground Zero ability
Ground Zero bombs do 10 damage permanently (3 -> 10)
- A common abbreviation for Ground Zero is "G0" or "GZ".
- Ground Zero currently does twice as much damage as the current damage that BTD5's Ground Zero did (700 over 350).