Frozen Bloons are special types of bloons created when freezing towers, especially Ice Monkeys, freeze bloons. Bloons with a Frozen Bloon coating fully freeze all movement (or partially stop for frozen MOAB-class in BTD6), but they cannot be affected by sharp attacks (except in Bloons Pop! where freezing does not add this special immunity). These layers act more like a semi-protective coating, as said coating prevents damage from sharp objects, but it lets all other damage types penetrate through the layers as if the bloon did not have the frozen layer. Unlike regular bloons, Frozen Bloons are only spawned through freeze attacks from the following:
- Main Bloons TD series
- Bloons Pop!
- Original Bloons series
- Ice Bloon (Bloons series)
Frozen Bloons make their first appearance in original Bloons game and every single Bloons-related game, including the Bloons TD series, since. Frozen MOAB-class bloons make appearances only in BTD6 and BATTD.
Frozen Bloons traditionally are defrosted by Bomb Shooters (or in the case of the Bloons series games, the Bomb Bloon), and it is one of the most effective methods of doing so. Try placing sharp-based towers away from Frozen Bloons, as well as adding attacks with the energy, explosion, plasma, fire, shatter (sharp + frozen-popping), or normal ("ambipopstrous", pops any bloon type) damage types, or upgrade existing Ice Monkey(s) to Re-Freeze or above.
Against Frozen MOAB-class, on the other hand, requires fully popping the blimp before the protective frozen layer is broken, at least until the frozen layer naturally defrosts. Frozen MOAB-class do not fully stop (except in BATTD), but instead move at the speed of a normal ZOMG, or move 50% slower for ZOMGs.
It is possible to let a Frozen Bloon be damaged by sharp projectiles, however, using Embrittlement and Super Brittle, which cause all bloons including Frozen Bloons to temporarily receive the Brittle status effect.
- Main article: Frozen Bloon/Strategies
- The Bomb Tower is the only tower in the original Bloons TD game to pop Frozen Bloons, as Laser Vision was not available in that game.
- In BATTD, frozen MOAB-class actually fully stop in place. Additionally, their entire layers are fully covered in snow, rather than partially covered in snow in the game BTD6.
- Because the Ice Monkey automatically gains a Snap Freeze attack by default, the only way to freeze a bloon but not damage it in Bloons TD 6 is to use Ball Lightning with the "Cold Front" MK, although this will only work for Purple Bloons because they cannot be popped by lightning.
- Excluding Heroes who level up automatically, a 0-0-0 Wizard Monkey is the cheapest tower that pops Frozen Bloons by default.