|“||If you manage to beat level (last level of the difficulty you are playing), you can opt to play on in 'free play' mode until you run out of lives.||”|
|~ Round 12 in BTD4|
|“||You cannot save your game once you start playing free play mode.||”|
|~ Round 63 in BTD4|
|“||Freeplay, freeplay, freeplay. Have fun!||”|
|~ Round 86's Pre-Round Comment in Bloons TD 5|
|“||This is free play mode. You get XP more slowly, but you can earn Tokens and get on Leaderboards. Some rounds start to get pretty heavy later on, so you device will start to lag eventually - good luck!||”|
|~ Bloons TD 5 Mobile Official Description|
|“||This is freeplay mode and the rules have changed! Bloons will get faster and stronger the further you go. Keep playing as long as you can!||”|
|~ Bloons TD 6 Official Description|
Freeplay Mode is a mode that appears in Bloons TD 3, Bloons TD 4, Bloons TD 5, and Bloons TD 6. When the player completes the final round of any difficulty, the player will be asked if the player wants to continue playing. Upon continuing, the player will enter freeplay mode. The player can't save in Freeplay Mode, unless playing BTD6, the mobile version of BTD4 and BTD5, or the Nintendo DSi/3DS version of BTD4.
In Freeplay Mode, Bloons get stronger every single round. Their speed increases progressively, and starting with BTD5, MOAB-Class Bloons also gain more health progressively. To counteract the large amount of bloons per round, you gain less experience when popping bloons in Freeplay Mode.
Having a computer or device with large enough RAM and a strong enough processor is recommended when playing in Freeplay Mode due to progressively more intense bloon sends, hence the availability of mobile versions of Bloons TD games on personal computers (e.g. via Steam) to take advantage of their generally vast processing power.
- BTD3: Rounds 51+ will have random spawns from Blacks to MOABs.
- BTD4: Rounds 76+ will have random spawns from Zebras to BFBs.
- BTD5: Rounds 86+ will have random spawns from Ceramics to ZOMGs.
- BTD6: Rounds 141+ Will have random spawns from Purples, Leads, and Ceramics to BADs (including DDT). Starting from Version 25.0, Rounds 101-121 became pre-determined, while in Version 26.0 rounds 121-140 became pre-determined.
Bloons TD 3
Freeplay starts at:
Bloons TD 4
Freeplay starts at:
- Round 51 Easy
- Round 61 Medium
- Round 76 Hard
Bloons TD 5
Freeplay starts at:
- Round 51 Easy
- Round 66 Medium
- Round 86 Hard and Impoppable
Bloons TD 6
Freeplay starts at:
- Round 41 Easy
- Round 61 Medium
- Round 81 Hard
- Round 101 Impoppable and C.H.I.M.P.S.
Note that Freeplay rules do not apply until Round 81. Thus, regardless of difficulty, Rounds 81+ will replace regular Ceramics with Super Ceramics as well as increase MOAB-class health (+2% from original health) and speed (+2% from original speed) each round.
Starting from Version 11.0, Freeplay becomes signficantly more difficult starting from Round 101. As seen in this BTD6 Reddit link, the following rules are applied:
- Starting from round 300, all bloons gain a stun resistance, starting at 75% of normal stun time, then reducing again to 50% stun time at round 350.
- The speed and health formulas have gotten a complete overhaul from before, instead of being split into two parts, it's split into 4, and it goes as follows:
- The second phase of freeplay starts on round 101 instead of round 115. Not only is the health increment increased (from 2% to 5%), but the speed is too (with the same increase).
- From there, the health increments will continue to increase. At round 125, blimps gain 15% of their original health every round, and it increases again at round 152 with 35%.
- Bloons in freeplay are more dense right off the bat as opposed to round 300, which was the previous cutoff point for this. All bloon waves are twice as dense as they were previously, and there are more bloons in each wave (except BADs, although they are still far more common earlier on than they used to be, you can get them starting on round 110 now). The rounds are also considerably faster than normal.
- Once you hit round 300 now, there are some rather interesting things that happen with the round generating algorithm, which can add spacing between waves.
- The health increments stop on round 200135 when the MOABs' health are 100,000 TIMES as their original health. The speed caps at round 700, where the bloons would move at 31.4x their original speed.
On Version 17.0, the speed cap is now removed, and so bloons can reach near-infinite speeds at much higher rounds.
Starting from Version 27.0, blimp health increases have been reduced. Freeplay formula for MOAB Health Increase from round 125+ reduced from 0.20 -> 0.15, and Freeplay formula for MOAB Health Increase from round 152+ reduced from 0.50 -> 0.35.
- Main article: Freeplay Mode/Strategies
Click Freeplay Mode/Strategies for a list of strategies for playing levels in Freeplay Mode. This only applies to Rounds 85+, regardless of difficulty. For BTD6 Freeplay Strategies, visit BTD 6 Freeplay Mode/Strategies
- On Bloons TD 5 and on newer versions of Bloons TD 4, the game displays a message about lag. When it lags, turning the fast-forward off may help speed your game up. On round 71 in Bloons TD 4, a freeplay round if on easy or medium, the Pre-Round Comment is You might think the game is lagging by now but it really is your mind speeding up. Think of it as like bullet time in the Matrix.
- In Bloons TD 4, there are 999 BFBs in round 250 (the very last round) making it almost impossible to legitimately beat unless filled with Monkey Aces, as they use up no space. This is not true in BTD4 ioS.
- Bloons in Bloons TD 5 begin to speed up in Round 103 of freeplay, so by round 400, the player has a Z.O.M.G. going nearly as fast as a Pink Bloon.
- The amount of money for each popped bloon also decreases as time goes by in freeplay. (It will be a constant 2% in Bloons TD 6, whether Round 101 or 500)
- In Freeplay Mode of Bloons TD 5, Ceramic Bloons require 38 hits to break open, revealing only 1 Rainbow Bloon. These are known as "Super Ceramics." Subsequent bloons also only reveal one descendant (Lead Bloons reveal only one Black Bloon) instead of two upon popping. (Zebra bloons will only spawn one white bloon when popped)
- There is no known round limit in Freeplay Mode, though it is most likely the 32-bit integer limit (2147483647 rounds).
- As of the 14.3 version of BTD6, the last round that has Bloons is round 2,147,548, which technically is the "round limit".
- If the player wants to get to very high rounds without lag, the January 19, 2013 daily challenge is a good way. This challenge replaces all bloons (except for Black Bloons, White Bloons, Leads, and Ceramics) with Zebra Bloons.
- The January 27, 2014 daily challenge can also accomplish this, as all MOAB-Class Bloons are Red Bloons.
- Originally in BTD5, when the player reached round 500 in this mode, the round would give an endless stream of ZOMGs that are close to impossible to damage due to moving at extreme speed, showing a Freeplay Mode "limit". This was removed as of the Brick Wall update.
- The highest legitimate round ever to be achieved in Freeplay Mode in BTD5 is 1098 by Demonic Sin Ex. Video is attached.
- In Bloons TD5 Mobile, far greater rounds are possible. Highest known score is at 2728 rounds, by Jort#2341. This is due to a few factors. One being that you have access to the Bloonchipper tower. Another one is that due to a glitch, you can place temples right next to each other with Support Chinook. The third one is that speed and health changes take longer to take affect.
- The highest legitimate round ever to be achieved in BTD6's Freeplay Mode prior to version 11.0 is round 3275 by nucleon_oz. Link.
- On version 11.0, rounds above 1100 were possible to be achieved due to a bug with Obyn Greenfoot hyperbuffing Avatar of the Vengeful Monkey sun avatars. Link.
- Ever since the Obyn bug has been patched in version 12.0, rounds above 600 is extremely hard to legitimately accomplish.
- There is an ongoing legitimate run on version 16.2, in which round 1000 was achieved. The strategy involves 23 Sun Temples and more than 30 Unstable Concoctions, taking advantage of the enourmous health ramping of B.A.D's at higher rounds to set off chain reaction explosions. However, this results in massive performance drops and each round is said to take 40 minutes to complete, totalling at 270 hours to reach round 1000. Link.
- Purple Bloons have the least RBE of any freeplay Bloon, although many are stacked with 0 spacing.
- In BTD6, some Freeplay Rounds show resemblance to regular rounds that are 100 rounds before. For example, round 163 (many Lead Bloons and Ceramic Bloon) and round 63; round 200 (2 Fortified BADs) and round 100.
- In BTD6, the last random round is round 9,999, from round 10,000, every round till round 2,147,548 contains 200 Fortified BADs. From round 2,147,549, there won't be any Bloons at all.
- When player gets a game over in BTD5, it shows 2 skulls on fire.
- As of Version 21.0 in BTD6, when the player loses in Freeplay Mode, instead of showing 'Defeat', the game will show 'Game Over' as well as a stat card similar to the one when the player wins, though the player can still continue if the game they're playing allows them to.
- There is a bug on Version 27.0 where every level after entering freeplay mode rewards cash if the player exits to main menu and reloads the game.