|“||This high-tech hero can pursue the Bloons wherever they go with his remote-controlled drone.||”|
|~ BTD6 description|
Etienne is a Hero in Bloons TD 6, released in the Version 20.0 update. He specializes in air-based attacks using drones. He initially has 55 range with his main attack being a ranged attack from his drone. As he levels up, he'll be able to control a greater number of drones, utilizing an increasing number of control patterns for his drones. At Level 8+, he grants camo detection to all towers on screen, like a global Radar Scanner. At Level 10+, a large UCAV (Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle) can be summoned with an ability. This ability allows the UCAV to move at a low-flying height while shooting waves of missiles, comparable to a mix between Adora and Spectre. Level 20 modifies the Level 10-19 ability to deal hugely increased damage from the UCAV, while keeping the regular UCAV characteristic of the Level 10 ability active permanently. Note that the Level 20 permanent UCAV is only powerful as the UCAV from the Level 10 ability, discounting UCAV upgrades after Level 10 for the permanent UCAV.
Etienne's first teaser was a wallpaper image of him operating drones, with a desert-based map behind him faintly in the background. On r/btd6, it was shown here, in turn showing the Twitter teaser for Etienne.
Etienne's second teaser, revealing his abilities, can be seen here.
Etienne upgrades automatically after being placed. Unlike most added heroes, levelling speed is 1.0x, the same as all four base heroes (Quincy, Gwendolin, Striker Jones, Obyn Greenfoot). To understand Etienne's targeting system, see Targeting. Additional information is added at subpoints.
- Level 1 - Flies a deadly little drone around to shoot at the Bloons.
- Drones have 1 damage, 2 pierce and attack every 0.7 seconds. This drone always targets first. Despite being a possible subtower, it is affected by Overclock. The drone attack is of the sharp damage type.
- The drone can fly around Etienne's range of 55 and fire at bloons within range.
- Level 2 - Etienne's range increased.
- Range increased from 55 to 60.
- Level 3 - Drone Swarm Ability: Etienne launches 4 more temporary drones to wreak some Bloon popping havoc.
- Spawns 4 temporary drones with the same stats as main drones which last 17 seconds. The 4 drones always target, First, Last, Strong, Strong (blue, green, yellow, yellow) regardless of Etienne's targeting.
- Duration increases by +0.5 seconds for every level of Etienne, up to a maximum of 25.5 seconds at Level 20. It can be calculated using the formula (15.5+level)
- Cooldown is 70 seconds.
- Level 4 - Drones increase in popping power.
- Drone pierce increased by 1.
- Level 5 - Drone increased attack speed and infra red camera allows shooting of Camo Bloons.
- Drone attack cooldown reduced to 0.55 seconds and gain camo detection. For the purposes of Advanced Intel, Etienne's range is now considered camo.
- Level 6 - Drone Swarm ability cooldown reduced.
- Cooldown reduced from 70 seconds to 55 seconds.
- Level 7 - Etienne now controls 2 drones at once.
- Gains "First" targeting option, which switches all drones to target first (blue, blue).
- Gains "Divide and Conquer" targeting option, which switches one drone each to target first and strong (blue, yellow)
- Note again that these targeting options do not change the targeting of Drones from Drone Swarm.
- Level 8 - UAV: all Monkeys gain Camo Bloon detection.
- Level 9 - Drones pop an extra Bloon layer.
- Level 10 - UCAV ability: high altitude surveillance drone becomes devastating combat drone for a short time.
- UCAV has 10 missiles with 3 damage, 25 pierce and attacks every 0.6 seconds with infinite range. The missiles are of the explosive damage type, and always seek towards the first bloon.
- The missile may hit another bloon beforehand and explode without hitting the first bloon.
- Cooldown is 90 seconds.
- Level 11 - Etienne gains a third drone to control.
- Gains "Zone Defense" targeting option, switching one drone each to target First, Strong and Last (blue, yellow, green).
- "Divide and Conquer" now becomes First, Strong, Strong targeting (blue, yellow, yellow).
- Level 12 - Drone upgrades! Increased popping power and flight speed.
- Pierce increased to from 3 to 6.
- Level 13 - UCAV ability cooldown reduced.
- Cooldown decreased from 90 seconds to 75 seconds.
- Level 14 - Drone damage increased greatly.
- Damage increased from 2 to 3.
- Level 15 - UCAV damage output and duration greatly increased.
- Duration increased from 15 seconds to 25 seconds.
- Missile damage increased from 3 to 6 and pierce increased from 25 to 30.
- Level 16 - Etienne's range, drone popping power, and Drone Swarm ability cooldown all improved.
- Drone pierce increased from 6 to 9 and Etienne range increased from 60 to 80.
- Level 17 - UCAV damage output greatly increased again!
- Damage increased from 6 to 9.
- Level 18 - Drone damage increased.
- Damage increased from 3 to 4.
- Level 19 - Etienne now controls four drones all the time!
- Drone targets Close (purple) with Zone Defense. Drones will target First, Strong, Last, Close (blue, yellow, green, purple).
- Drone targets first (blue) with Divide and Conquer. Drones will target First, Strong, Strong, First (blue, yellow, yellow, blue).
- Level 20 - Perma-UCAV: Surveillance drone becomes permanent UCAV. When activated becomes even more powerful for a short time.
- Note that UCAV missile is reduced from 9 damage to 3 and 30 (?) pierce to 25.
- UCAV ability duration is decreased from 25 to 20 seconds and increases UCAV damage from 3 to 12 and pierce from 25 to 30.
Etienne has three different targeting modes. The first two: First and Divide and Conquer are unlocked at Level 7, with Zone Defense unlocked at Level 11. First sets all drones to target first. Divide and Conquer sets the first drone to target Strong, second to target First, third to target Strong and the fourth to target First. Zone Defense sets the first drone to target First, second to target Strong, third to target Last and the fourth to target Close. Upon activating the Drone Swarm ability, two of the extra drones target Strong, while the remaining two drones target First and Last. Etienne’s drones will change the colour of the small triangular button on their top side. It is blue when targeting first, yellow for strong, purple for close, and green for last.
|Divide and Conquer||Zone Defence||First|
When placed on the map:
- "Ready to fly!"
- "Here we go!"
- "Oui?" (in 2 different tones)
- "Eyes up!"
- "You want me to do this or not?" - when annoyed
- "No distractions!" - when very annoyed
When leveling up:
- "Oui!" (means "Yes!")
- "C'est beau!" (means "That's nice!")
- "That's some serious damage!" (Level 20)
When MOAB-class Bloons appear:
- MOAB appears - "Tracking M.O.A.B!"
- B.F.B. appears - "Tracking B.F.B!"
- Z.O.M.G. appears - "Tracking Z.O.M.G!"
- D.D.T. appears - "DDT! DDT!"
- B.A.D. appears - "Heads up, tracking BAD!"
When a MOAB-class Bloon is destroyed:
- "How it's done!"
- "Adieu!" (means "Farewell!")
When using an activated Ability:
- "Swarm deployed!" - when activating Drone Swarm
- "Weapons hot!" - when activating UCAV
When a Bloon leaks:
- "Eyes on that exit!"
- "C'est la guerre." (a French phrase meaning 'That's war.')
- Etienne is primarily oriented as a mid-game and late-game hero, but mostly aimed at mid-game support. The main features that define him the most are his global camo buff, Drone Swarm ability, and UCAV ability, although outside of abilities he remains relatively weak in popping power.
- Etienne ignores Line of Sight, which may be useful on maps such as High Finance or Workshop.
- When used for pure early-game damage, Etienne is best used on single-lane maps with curves.
- Note that there is a relatively short 0.5s deploy time before the Level 3+ ability can allow the additional temporary drones to shoot darts.
- Similarly to Comanche Defense and Comanche Commander, his drones cannot be affected by Alchemist buffs, so Etienne cannot be Alch-buffed at all. Interestingly however, his drones are affected by Overclock.
- Until Level 12+, Etienne tends to struggle much against faster bloons, especially Yellows and Pinks, as the flight speed of the drones and their limited range tend to let them miss such bloons easily. Try adding additional offense-based backup alongside Etienne.
- His one support utility grants camo detection to all towers on screen at Level 8+, rendering Radar Scanner redundant once he reaches said level. As such, he can be incredibly useful on Primary Monkeys Only or for maps with limited space for Monkey Villages.
- Because of the Version 21.0 buff to the final perma-UCAV, its ability can be used to wipe out DDTs easily, although not as reliable as alternate options.
- Try using the UCAV ability to beat Rounds 75 and 76 with ease with just one ability use. Time it late in Round 75 so that it has enough duration to wipe out Round 76 with one ability usage.
Most of Etienne's power comes from the UCAV unlocked at Level 10, as it is extremely powerful to use on various mid to late game rounds and can help save up more money than most other Heroes. At Level 20, Perma-UCAV also gives Etienne decent damage without an ability active.
However, before Level 10, Etienne's earlygame is very weak and is his biggest weakness as his drones have a combination of low stats and inaccurate firing, so always try to pair him with a strategy that can hold itself up till around when Etienne unlocks UCAV. Drone Swarm is still alright to help with some early rounds, but try not to rely on it.
The long cooldown of both abilities means that Etienne's abilities take some effort to manage. Do note that upon reaching Level 20, Perma-UCAV antistalls (i.e. kills straggler bloons quickly, even if undesired), so Etienne strategies cannot use traditional stalling methods and have to either slow and stall the bloons from the next wave or use the abilities earlier to allow it recharge in time for the next time it needs to be used.
- Lv3 Drone Swarm ability duration increased from 15 -> 17
- Lv3 Drone Swarm ability lasts +0.5s longer for every level of Etienne
- Lv16 Drone Swarm no longer increases ability duration.
- Previously, Level 16 reduced Drone Swarm cooldown to 50 seconds and made temporary drones last 25 seconds in addition to its current effects.
- Lv20 'Ability' UCAV duration increased from 15 -> 20
- Lv20 'Ability' UCAV deals normal damage for buff duration
- Reloading to a save (by exiting and reentering or by reattempting the round) that has Etienne's drone swarm currently active will cause each main drone to hover off center from where it normally should. This can be fixed by reloading the game to a round where the drone swarm is not active.
- Etienne is a French name, and therefore it is pronounced "IT-yen." Etienne uses French words in his quotes, so he is French.
- The global camo buff that Etienne provides has the same icon as the Radar Scanner buff.
- Therefore, the Etienne UAV buff and Radar Scanner cannot stack.
- At Level 8, he produces a green radar flash as he levels up, indicating his UAV buff.
- Etienne is the first new hero to have 1x relative hero levelling speed without a bug.
- Admiral Brickell had 1x levelling speed on release, but this was changed in Version 18.1 to 1.425x relative speed as was intended.
- Etienne, Adora and Admiral Brickell are the most expensive heroes by Monkey Money cost, as each cost 5000 Monkey Money to buy.
- Etienne is also the second hero to call out a MOAB as "M-O-A-B", with the first being Striker Jones.