|“||Spews endless flames at nearby Bloons.||”|
|~ BTD6 upgrade description|
Dragon's Breath is the third upgrade of Path 2 for the Wizard Monkey in BTD6. It allows the Wizard Monkey to shoot out an endless stream of flames at bloons (specifically one flame per 0.1s), alongside creating regular Fireballs and Walls of Fire from the respective preceding Path 2 upgrades. The flames pierce through up to 4 bloons (+2 with Intense Magic) and deal 1 damage each (or 2 damage versus Ceramics). Each flame also applies a burn effect like Burny Stuff, dealing 1 layer of damage per 1.5 seconds for 3 seconds.
Besides adding a new attack, the Dragon's Breath upgrade improves one of its other attacks, Wall of Fire, allowing it to deploy Walls of Fire at a faster rate (per 4.5 seconds as opposed to per 5.5 seconds). However, Dragon's Breath no longer has automatic Camo detection because Monkey Sense is now a Path 3 upgrade.
It costs $2550 on Easy, $3000 on Medium, $3240 on Hard, and $3600 on Impoppable.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Summary[edit | edit source]
Dragon's Breath is a good option for mid-game as general cleanup and decent MOAB-class damage. It tends to fall off late-game, but it remains a highly effective option at damage against various bloon types with the exception of Purple Bloons. Placing a Dragon's Breath along bends or as much coverage across multiple regions of the track will optimize its attacks. The most optimal locations for its previous more popular Wall of Fire upgrade are not suitable for Dragon's Breath, making Dragon's Breath more of an upgrade to be bought for its upgrade rather than as a stepping stone.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- 0-3-2 Dragon's Breaths are generally the preferred crosspath when getting this upgrade. Unfortunately, the flames are neither able to pass through walls or do +1 damage, even with top-path upgrades, but there's a special interaction where flames will last twice as long with Guided Magic. For most purposes, the bottom path is preferable, as the benefits provided by Guided Magic are usually inferior.
- The pierce bonus for the Dragon's Breath attack is from 4 pierce to 6 pierce, a +2 pierce bonus instead of +5 for most other attacks. Even still, this makes a big difference versus grouped bloons.
- 1-3-0 Dragon's Breaths can deploy its faster Walls of Fire onto specific regions of the track, but this utility usually is not any more superior than the opposite crosspath, as the Dragon's Breath attacks make the biggest difference for the total DPS of the Dragon's Breath upgrade. 2-3-0 Dragon's Breath makes little difference compared to 1-3-0 because it only affects its measly bolt attacks.
- In a similar way to maximizing Dragon's Breath in BTD5, place a Dragon's Breath along an region of the map with more track area, to maximize its flame attacks against stronger bloons. Unlike in BTD5 though, Dragon's Breath comes with Wall of Fire, making it more useful against Ceramics overall due to the general cleanup utility of such an attack. On the flip side, because a Wall of Fire Wizard is strategically optimized by placing it far from the track, most of the time such Wall of Fire Wizard is not worth upgrading further to Dragon's Breath.
- Although Dragon's Breath flames deal more damage versus Ceramics, don't assume that Dragon's Breath excels against them, although Dragon's Breath is good against rounds with moderate numbers of spaced Ceramics, like Rounds 43, 47, 49, 51, 52, 54, and 58. Dragon's Breath can be considered more of a mix between a DPS tower and a cleanup tower.
Version History[edit | edit source]
- Initial release (BTD5 comparison)
- Cost of Dragon's Breath decreased ($4,200 --> $3,600)
- Some upgrade paths have been changed, affecting some upgrade choices.
- Dragon's Breath no longer has Monkey Sense by default.
- Cost of Dragon's Breath decreased ($3,600 --> $3,000)
- Dragon's Breath range now (correctly) increases with Wizard Monkey upgrades
- Dragon's Breath now applies a burn Damage Over Time equal to Mortar's Burny Stuff to any Bloon it touches.
- 1-3-0 Wizard now uses tower targeting priority to guide the Wall of Fire
- Wall of Fire pierce decreased (20 --> 15). Requires Intense Magic for 20 pierce Walls of Fire.
- 0-3-1 Dragon's Breath crosspath benefits now increase pierce of Dragon's Breath from 4 to 6.
- 030 Dragon's Breath, breath attack gains bonus damage to ceramic +1
- 130 Dragon's Breath increases lifespan of Dragon Breath 0.4 -> 0.8
- Main bolt has more pierce (2 --> 3, from base Wizard buff)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Projectiles[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In BTD6, Intense Magic increases its pierce. However, Arcane Blast doesn't increase its damage, only the magic bolts.
- The initial BTD6 Dragon's Breath price is the same as the first price reduction to the Dragon's Breath upgrade in Bloons TD Battles Mobile and the only price reduction on Bloons TD Battles Flash.
- The XP requirement for Dragon's Breath, 2600 XP, is the same amount as the cost of the Dragon's Breath upgrade in Bloons TD Battles Mobile ($2600).
- Dragon's Breath is the 74th unique 2MPC tower upgrade listed on the fan-official 2MPC spreadsheet, as shown here. This is also the second debut of a new 2MPC tower on the Version 19.x series, specifically on Version 19.2. It is also a downgrade of the entry for Summon Phoenix done just one day earlier.
- Ironically, real-world ceramics are highly resistant to fire, but Dragon's Breath deals extra damage to Ceramics.