|“||Champion dark blades excel at puncturing and ruining all Bloon types. Darkshift ability extends mapwide.||”|
|~ BTD6 description as of Version 17.0|
Dark Champion is the Tier 4 upgrade of Path 3 for the Super Monkey in Bloons TD 6. The Super Monkey now shoots twice as fast as before, alternating from each arm, firing every 0.03s by default, and every 0.015s with Plasma Blasts. These improved dark blades deal much more damage to all bloon types, including Lead and Purple, dealing 2 damage, +3 MOAB-class damage, +2 Ceramic damage, and gaining +4 extra pierce. Additionally, knockback against Leads and Ceramics is -100% speed, unlike Dark Knight's 90% bloon speed reduction.
Additionally, the Dark Knight's Darkshift ability is improved, allowing the Dark Champion to teleport to anywhere on the map, instead of being limited to only within its own range.
Dark Champion adds ear-like protrusions to the monkey's head, and lengthens its cape significantly. The artwork shows it using this lengthened cape to provide itself cover whilst it holds one of its blades at its side.
When actually firing in-game, it visibly throws two blades alternating between each hand. When teleporting, it produces a purple cloud during teleportation and then the Dark Champion appears in the new spot immediately after.
Crosspathing with path 1 gives it laser, then plasma goggles.
Crosspathing with path 2 adds 1 or 2 stripes along its head (with 0-2-4, the stripes run down the ear-like protrusions)
Dark Champion significantly improves Dark Knight's main attack, granting it +1 base damage (for 2, 5 MOAB damage total) and +2 ceramic damage, for 4 total, as well as +4 pierce, for 8 total, and finally, doubling its attack speed (visually represented as two blades thrown per shot) to a 0.03s attack cooldown, (0.15s with Plasma Blasts)
Additionally, its Darkshift can teleport it anywhere on the map, assuming there is space available.
- First: Targets the first bloon visible within its range.
- Last: Targets the last bloon visible within its range.
- Close: Targets the closest bloon visible within its range.
- Strong: Targets the strongest bloon visible within its range.
Dark Champion can access Camo Prioritization, allowing all its attacks to prioritize Camo Bloons over other types when this secondary targeting option is active.
- Updated as of Version 32.0. Listed prices exclude external buffs, any sacrifices, and Monkey Knowledge.
This upgrade's prices (or included crosspath's prices) are affected by the following MK: Better Sell Deals
The Dark Champion is a high-risk, high-reward upgrade. It strengthens the Super Monkey's stats, improves Darkshift, and excels at popping DDTs, but for an expensive price. While a Dark Champion packs high mobility and a large amount of pierce and damage, particularly DDT-popping power, multiple Dark Knights or a Dark Knight with Permanent Brew tend to have the edge in DPS overall. However, Dark Champion does have various synergies of its own that can give it unique advantages over other options, notable examples being its global mobility and special synergy with Overclock for Tier 4 status.
Dark Champion features as a powerful win condition, having high DPS by virtue of its stats. It also happens to apply Knockback as a decent status effect, and comes with the ability to teleport anywhere on the map for extensive mobility. However, much of this utility falls short due to its weakness against Super Ceramics, having low pierce and easily getting overwhelmed by them. Overall, with the proper support, Dark Champion is powerful, but it must be used with caution.
- Due to Plasma Blasts doubling the Dark Champion's attack speed and providing much-needed pierce, the top path is the better crosspath choice. Path 2 crosspaths add little benefit, as the range bonuses are redundant and its pierce benefits are only marginally better than those from Path 1.
- Due to its low pierce compared to its price, the power of a Dark Champion is greatly boosted by Obyn Greenfoot and Stronger Stimulant's pierce buffs.
- Note that Dark Champion does especially well against DDTs, since they have fairly low health and usually need little pierce to effectively pop. Players should focus on support for harder, hyper-dense rounds such as 96 and 98.
- Overclock is an excellent support tower to increase its already high DPS, as it is the second most expensive Tier 4 upgrade in the game, which means that it can have 100% uptime with Overclock. Another valuable support tower for the Dark Champion is Shattering Shells, which reduces the RBE of Fortified rounds massively and removes Fortified from child super ceramics.
- If only the utility of Knockback is desired, the 3-0-2 Sun Avatar is a much better choice than the Dark Champion, due to its higher pierce and lower price.
- The Dark Champion is very useful in Muddy Puddles since it can teleport around to other lanes. However, this is less effective in Bloody Puddles because Bloons enter from multiple entrances at the same time.
- Prior to various changes starting in Version 28.0, It was much more common practice to use Permanent Brew in conjunction with Dark Knight in place of Dark Champion, as its buffs were generally more useful for Dark Knight than upgrading to Dark Champion, and they could be applied permanently to any tower, whilst costing the same as Dark Champion. Starting from 28.0, and in particular after 30.0, Dark Champion received key buffs of its own to differentiate itself from Permanent Brew, and thus bring it into further relevance. In general, Permanent Brew still remains more effective, but in particular cases Dark Champion can now pull ahead.
When relogging into a game having Dark Champion upgrade or above:
- [Bat screeching]
When activating Darkshift Ability:
- The Dark Champion, like Sun Temple, is a Tier 4 upgrade that allows the Super Monkey to pop bloons of any type.
- A 2-0-4 Dark Champion on Impoppable Mode is the most expensive tower that can be picked up by the Door Gunner MK ability for Special Poperations.
- As of v30.0, it is the only non-Path 2 Tier 4 tower to have an ability.