|“||Crossbow Master shoots really fast and devastates most Bloon types with ease.||”|
Crossbow Master is the final upgrade on the third path for the Dart Monkey in Bloons TD 6. It increases the Dart Monkey's attack speed to 6.25 shots per second, increases critical hit frequency to 4-8 (compared to 8-12 from Sharp Shooter), and increases the range to 240% of a 0-0-0 Dart Monkey. Additionally, this upgrade increases the pierce of each shot to 10, +6 when upgraded to a 1/0/5 and +7 on top of that when upgraded to 2/0/5. It also allows the Dart Monkey to pop Lead Bloons, making it ideal for stopping hordes of standard bloons.
- For most occasions, it is recommended to upgrade the Crossbow Master to 0-2-5 over 2-0-5 as gaining a 50% attack speed boost is usually better than getting a +13 pierce boost, as it already has a high 10 pierce per shot. On some occasions, however, the extra pierce is far more useful, particularly for late-game.
- Crossbow Master improves the critical hit attacks of the Sharp Shooter, allowing it to pop 50 layers every 4-8 shots. Because of its increased attack speed, this effect goes off about four times as frequently. If it can land off a few good shots, this makes it an excellent method of dealing with Super Ceramics and MOABs if you are going for a challenge which includes Dart Monkeys.
- Crossbow Master is highly optimized on straight line paths. This will ensure that as much pierce is used for utilizing those critical hits as possible.
- On easier maps, getting this upgrade can solo up to round 80.
- Even though Crossbow Master can pop lead and damage DDTs, it will have a hard time against DDTs due to their fast speed and high health.
- It's worth noting that the new changes in Version 18.0 are overall buffs for Crossbow Master, although the opposite crosspath (2-0-5 Crossbow Master rather than 0-2-5) would provide basically the original version of the Crossbow Master.
Crossbow Master is a well-rounded upgrade that is able to act as a good source of overall DPS. The random critical hits now activate much quicker on top of its much improved attack speed, allowing a few of these critical hits to easily wipe out a decent number of Super Ceramics and shred weaker MOABs. Because of its relatively high pierce and high damage from each of its relatively frequent random critical hits, it is recommended to place the Crossbow Master along straight lines in order to make the most use of its high pierce.
Although the Crossbow Master doesn't necessarily require external buffs in order to perform its best, it pairs very well with Overclock in order to increase its powerful random critical hit rate even more. Because it costs less than $40,000 on all difficulties, including Impoppable Mode (where a 0-2-5 Crossbow Master would cost ~$34,086), it is able to maintain 100% uptime with the attack speed benefits of the Overclock ability.
In addition to being a rather cost-effective Tier 5, there is a Monkey Knowledge Point called "Master Double Cross" that allows for two Crossbow Masters on the map at once, which adds an extra dimension of the overall power of Crossbow Master. With this one MK Point, this allows the option to place each Crossbow Master on different areas of the map for even more attack coverage, or they can be placed together in similar locations to produce even more bloon-destructive power.
Price reduced from $27,000 -> $25,000
Critical shot appearance changed from 10 -> 8 (activates once every ~8 shots)
Critical shot appearance changed from 8 -> 6 (activates once every ~6 shots)
Attack speed bonus changed from 66% -> 75% (attacks 4 times faster instead of 3)
Base attack damage (correctly) increased (5 --> 6)
xx5 Crossbow Master fire rate increased from 0.2375s to 0.16s
xx5 Crossbow Master pierce reduced (23 --> 10).
1-0-5 Crossbow Master pierce reduced (24 --> 16). 2-0-5 Crossbow Master is also reduced, from 26 --> 23.
- If well placed, the Crossbow Master can pop three or sometimes four BFBs because of the high damage and pierce of its bolts.
- A Monkey Knowledge perk called Master Double Cross allows the player to place 2 Crossbow Masters at once (when activated). On challenge maps with rules that prevent Dart Monkeys from becoming Crossbow Masters (but do allow them to become Sharp Shooters), this knowledge perk allows for 1 Crossbow Master to be placed. This is presumably a bug.
- When supported by a True Sun God with support sacrifices, an Ezili sacrificial totem, a Primary Mentoring Village and a Stronger Stimulant Alchemist, a Crossbow Master can have its range roughly equal to the entire map.
- Before the 4.0 update, the Crossbow Master increased the layers popped by one. This upgrade was granted as a buff to the Sharp Shooter instead, keeping the basic power at 5 layers per shot.
- In Version 12.0, Sharp Shooter gained yet another +1 damage buff, but Crossbow Master formerly did not gain the +1 damage buff alongside Sharp Shooter, though Crossbow Master had gained a series of other damage buffs to compensate. However, this damage decrease discrepancy was since corrected for the Crossbow Master as of Version 12.1.
- Ninja Kiwi reworked the Crossbow Master in Version 18.0 in order to let the Path 1 crosspath have a fairer usage over the far more favorable Path 2 crosspath.