|“||Uses a long range Crossbow that can pop 3 layers of Bloon for every hit.||”|
|~ In-game description|
Crossbow is the third upgrade of Path 3 for the Dart Monkey in Bloons TD 6. It turns the Dart Monkey into a crossbow operator, exchanging darts for crossbow bolts. Each crossbow bolt pops 3 layers instead of 1, has 3 pierce instead of 2, and has increased projectile speed. Crossbow's range also increases from 48 to 56, equivalent to 75% more range than a 0-0-0 Dart Monkey.
This upgrade gives the Dart Monkey a purple eyeband and its wristbands change from red to purple. It gains a crossbow to fire from, and carries a small bandolier of darts.
Adding Path 2 crosspaths gives it a colored headband, while the Path 1 crosspaths gives it a colored tailband.
Crossbows shoot bolts that deal 3 damage and have 3 pierce per shot. The base projectile speed of each bolt is 360, increased from 330.
Crossbow targets bloons using the standard targeting priorities. It shoots straight movement projectiles.
- First: Targets the first bloon visible within its range.
- Last: Targets the last bloon visible within its range.
- Close: Targets the closest bloon visible within its range.
- Strong: Targets the strongest bloon visible within its range.
Crossbow can access Camo Prioritization, allowing all its attacks to prioritize Camo Bloons over other types when this secondary targeting option is active.
- Updated as of Version 31.0. Listed prices exclude buffs, sacrifices, and Monkey Knowledge.
Crossbow excels at reducing the strength of stronger early-game bloons into groups of weaker bloons for a remarkably low price. It also has decent pierce and projectile speed. Optimize its high damage potential by setting on Strong and letting it attack along straightaways.
- A 0-2-3 Crossbow is generally better than a 2-0-3. While the pierce bonuses from the top path allow the crossbow to pierce through 6 Bloons in a single shot (opposed to 3 without crosspathing), the 33% faster attack speed provided by the middle path far outweighs it in most situations. This is due to it not being able to make the most of its pierce in the majority of situations.
- One Crossbow can be used to give other towers an easier time to pop Yellows, Pinks, Blacks, Whites, Purples, and Zebras on earlier rounds. Set it on Strong to let it chip away at the layers of those bloon types.
- Crossbows have a tendency to miss bloons at the edge of their range, or when firing perpendicular to the bloons' movement. In order to maximize accuracy, try to set crossbows close to their most important targets when possible, and facing the bloons' movement head-on.
- During Version 6.0, multiple people have managed to spend less than $2,000 to win Logs Deflation Mode using just Gwendolin and one 0-0-3 Crossbow.
- The record is held by ISAB, at $1,465 on 10th December 2018, during Version 6.0. This did not change until Version 21.1 on 27th October 2020, where Gwen + 0-0-0 Dart + 1-1-0 Sniper was achieved.