|“||Upgraded weapons. Also automatically calls in 3 more Comanches. Permanently.||”|
|~ In-game description|
The Comanche Commander is a 5th and final upgrade for Path 3 for the Heli Pilot. When being upgraded to this upgrade, it will permanently call in 3 powerful mini-Comanche helicopters that have upgraded weapons to support defenses. All Comanche Commander helicopters including the parent helicopter gain +1 damage as part of the "upgraded weapons". It costs $29,750 on Easy, $35,000 on Medium, $37,800 on Hard, and $42,000 on Impoppable.
- When combined with a 3+/x/x Alchemist, the Comanche Commander becomes insanely powerful as the damage and pierce buff from the Alchemist will be applied to all 4 helicopters. Although the effect will wear out quickly, unless the Alchemist is upgraded to 5/x/x.
- The mini-helicopters are very powerful and can easily take down ZOMGs, and DDTs with support.
- DDTs have camo, so cannot be detected without reliable camo detection. It is much more valuable in the long-run to give the Comanche Commander camo detection with a Radar Scanner and upgrade the Comanche Commander to 2/0/5 than it is to purchase simply 0/2/5, as the faster moving from Bigger Jets is not nearly as useful as the extra 2 darts fired by the mini-helicopters granted by Quad Darts.
- Both the darts and the missiles cannot pop DDTs alone. While Acidic Mixture Dip and Level 4+ Gwendolin will temporarily make its darts be able to damage DDTs, this is not a fully reliable option since only some of its powerful projectiles are utilized for popping DDTs. Supporting the Comanche Commander with a Monkey Intelligence Bureau will allow all of its projectiles to make the most out of popping DDTs.
- However, Permanent Brew will now produce permanent Acidic Mixture Dip as of Version 8.0, making it a good lead-popping grant for the Comanche Commander's vast quantities of darts.
- The mini-helicopters are equipped with both Quad Dart cannons and a missile array, firing 3 darts per volley and 5 with the Quad Darts upgrade.
- Setting the parent helicopter to any targeting system will NOT affect the mini-helicopters; they will always be on pursuit targeting, even if the upgrade is not purchased.
Once being the strongest tower in the game, Comanche Commander has fallen due to unprecedented nerfs and bug fixes to the point where it is no longer viable without Permanent Brew. Apache Prime, the other offensive tier 5 Heli, is far stronger as a general damage dealer in late game. Regardless, Comanche Commander is exceptionally good when given all possible stat boosts (damage, attack speed, pierce, and range, in that order), due to the sheer number of projectiles that all four helicopters shoot out.
Compared to an Apache Prime, Comanche Commander comes with in-built MOAB Shove's MOAB-class pushback attacks along with significantly greater numbers of projectiles. Compared to a latter upgrade, the former provides high damage using lesser quantities of projectiles without the benefit of slowing down other bloons. Essentially, Comanche Commander packs greater than or equal to the value of Apache Prime when massively supported by other towers, compared to the alternate offense-dominant Tier-5 upgrade that comes built-in with various DPS benefits without the defensive MOAB-class pushback benefits.
Comanche Commander's mini-helicopters will no longer gain more than double bonus stats (attack speed, damage, range, etc.) from Alchemists, Gwen or other stat-bonus grants.
Comanche Commander's viability, when used conventionally, is greatly reduced by the Alchemist nerf. However, an exploit exists where moving the main Heli such that it cannot attack gives the mini-helicopters 100% uptime on Alchemist buffs, both Berserker Brew and Acidic Mixture Dip.
Comanche Commander's mini-helicopters will now (correctly) deduct Alchemist potions usages. However, the same exploit still allows Acidic Mixture Dip to have 100% uptime on the mini-helicopters, maintaining some of the tower's viability.
Comanche Commander's mini-helicopters will now correctly deduct Acidic Mixture Dip as well.
- There was a bug where the mini-helicopters cannot detect Camo by a Radar Scanner unless one sells and rebuys the Radar Scanner again.
- The name and artwork for the Comanche Commander is based on the RAH-66 Comanche stealth helicopter.
- During the Version 6.0 Alchemist nerfs, Comanche Commander used to be remained unaffected by the nerf if the Comanche Commander main helicopter was locked in place in a corner away from the track.
- Purchasing Quad Darts (1-0-5) seems to increase attack speed as well as amount of darts.