|“||Regularly sets a carpet of spikes over the whole track.||”|
|~ In-game description|
Carpet of Spikes is the final upgrade of Path 2 for the Spike Factory in Bloons TD 6. It allows the Spike Factory to automatically shoot out Spike Storms every 15 seconds. The automatic "Carpet of Spikes" spike piles will last for just over 20 seconds at minimum instead of 10 seconds, and will continually maintain its ever so deadly spike carpet. In addition, its main attack gets a massive stat increase.
Each spike from its main attack deals +3 damage on top of the MOAB SHREDR upgrade, in effect dealing 8 damage to MOAB-class instead of 5, and 4 damage instead of 1 for other bloons. Ability spikes deal +2 damage instead, dealing 7 damage to MOAB-class and 3 damage to ordinary bloons. Both the main ability spikes and passive ability spikes last for 20 seconds or 2 rounds, whichever comes first. Regular spikes are now dispensed every 0.33s instead of 0.98s, on top of a base range increase from 34 to 50.
Carpet of Spikes expands the four vents on each corner of Spike Storm into four additional spike ports; these are purple with black metal surrounding them, and they each share the same swirling pattern of the main port. The main body itself also loses the metal bands near the port.
Carpet of Spikes increases the base spike damage by 3, for 4 total, and thus the MOAB damage to 8; its base attack speed also just about triples (0.33 second attack cooldown as opposed to 0.98 seconds) and it gains +16 base attack range, for 50 total. It also now possesses a passive variant of its Spike Storm ability: this version occurs every 15 seconds, and its spikes, along with those of its activated ability, last 20 seconds, instead of the previous 10; they also still last between rounds. Ability spikes only gain 2 bonus damage instead of 3 bonus damage, due to a possible oversight.
As with Spike Storm, Smart Spikes increases ability spike lifespan by 50%, for 30 seconds total, causes the ability to only target active lanes, and allows the ability to receive 4x attack speed if it triggers within 2.5 seconds of the start of a round.
Carpet of Spikes defaults on Normal targeting priority, which dispenses the spikes onto nearby bloon track in a semi-sporadical behavior. If given Smart Spikes, it will also receive Close, Far, and Smart.
- Normal: Targets spike piles in a somewhat sporadical way, spreading spikes as evenly as possible within its range.
- Close: Targets the closest region(s) of track within range.
- Far: Targets the furthest region(s) of track within range.
- Smart: Prioritizes the track with the Bloon the farthest through it, then targets the spot on that track closest to the exit.
- Updated as of Version 32.0. Listed prices exclude external buffs, any sacrifices, and Monkey Knowledge.
Carpet of Spikes is specifically designed for widespread area damage, and its main strength comes from regularly spreading high-damage spikes across the map to severely weaken MOAB-class bloons, especially strong singular bloons. Its main weakness comes from wasting damage on much weaker bloons, but pairing up a Carpet of Spikes with towers specifically designed to counter weaker bloons, especially versus Super Ceramics. Provided it is supported by effective Super Ceramic counters, Carpet of Spikes is pretty decent overall as an option for high damage to high-HP blimps as well as general blimp damage. Although not the most efficient option compared to alternate options, it is still rather reliable overall.
- It is often best to go for Path 1 instead of Path 3, as the Bigger Stacks upgrade doubles the total popping power of Carpet of Spikes. Not only that, but White Hot Spikes can also be bought to pop DDTs. This is generally more important than the benefits provided from Long Reach or Smart Spikes.
- With that said, a 0-5-1 Carpet of Spikes will almost always have two-layers of spikes on the field.
- 0-5-2 Carpet of Spikes perform significantly better on multi-lane maps that contain alternating lanes, with best examples being Muddy Puddles and Bloody Puddles, but this loses out on the White Hot Spikes upgrade for the cheap lead-popping. Add MIB or Gwendolin to allow a 0-5-2 Carpet of Spikes to affect DDTs.
- Although Carpet of Spikes ability spikes deal 3 damage to all bloon types and 7 damage to MOAB-class, Carpet of Spikes is still far from the most cost-efficient MOAB-class damage source. It is still generally better off going for more Spike Storms, as using many more Spike Storms is usually more efficient against MOAB-class bloons than a single Carpet of Spikes for the total price.
- However, Carpet of Spikes is much more reliable versus Super Ceramics compared to an equivalent number of Spike Storms.
- Due to its expertise towards shredding MOAB-class bloons, pair a Carpet of Spikes with good anti-bloon popping power, such as The Bloon Solver, The Biggest One, or Prince of Darkness, so that the special spike carpets becomes less wasted on regular bloons.
- The special "Carpet of Spikes" passive ability is considered an automatically activated ability, so it is affected by the cooldown reductions of Energizer, for a faster rate of carpet production.
- The activated ability and passive ability cannot benefit from attack speed buffs. It is better to provide damage buffs.
- Similarly to high-projectile towers like The Tack Zone, Carpet of Spikes benefits hugely from buffs from Pat Fusty's Rallying Roar or from any bloon debuff towers like Super Brittle or Cripple MOAB. This is because each individual spike counts as a single hit, so a single spike pile counts for multiple hits, and therefore a spike pile's total damage can be highly amplified with bloon debuffs.
- Like Spike Storm, Carpet of Spikes has a great synergy with Call To Arms and Homeland Defense, as it gains a considerably high overall DPS, despite not receiving attack speed boosts for its abilities.
When activating Spike Storm ability or activating its passive ability:
- [Spikes producing]
- This upgrade, before Version 4.0, formerly allowed the Spike Factory to automatically send a more powerful Spike Storm before every round starts. These spikes would last until the round ends.
- This upgrade is similar to the Spike Storm upgrade in BTD4 and BTD4E.
- This was not the case before the 4.0 update.
- It is also equally as fast but lasts longer than in BTD4 and BTD4E.
- Since the Spike Factory retains its regular Spike Storm ability as well, it essentially combines the BTD4 and BTD5 variants.
- The Version 20.0 buff to Carpet of Spikes was listed as a bug fix rather than a balance change in the official Version 20.0 patch notes, but due to its significance it has made Carpet of Spikes considerably stronger overall.
- On Logs CHIMPS, a 2-5-0 Carpet of Spikes can solo all of the camo bloons as of Version 20.0, leading to specific 3TC combos to be possible. Carpet of Spikes eventually completed its first 2TC combo in Version 21.0 with both the buffs to Prince of Darkness and Carpet of Spikes.
- The Version 21.0 buff by increasing the automatic spike storm rate makes the Carpet of Spikes attack a little more similar to the BTD4 counterpart.
- Carpet of Spike's passive ability is considered an automatically activating ability. The attack is basically an ability wrapped in a
- The upgrade icon for Carpet of Spikes is a reference to the BTD4 Spike Storm's upgrade icon, which features a similar set of glowing spikes pointing almost uniformly towards the bottom-left. Likewise applies for the passive ability mechanics, and has gained buffs that made Carpet of Spikes more and more similar to the BTD4 Spike Storm.
- This is the only Tier 5 Spike Factory that is not slower than the base tower.