|“||Submerge to detect Camo, pop Bloons and reduce ability cooldowns of nearby water-based Monkeys by 15%.||”|
|~ In-game description|
Bloontonium Reactor is the fourth upgrade of Path 1 for the Monkey Sub in Bloons TD 6. It emits a radioactive attack with 52 range that deals 1 damage every 0.3 seconds to up to 50 bloons while submerged (51 with Naval Upgrades MK). The reactor sub also enhances the prior upgrade, Submerge and Support, now removing the Camo property from Bloons every 0.3 seconds. As a bonus, the Bloontonium Reactor reduces water tower ability cooldowns by 15% if they are within its radius. While unsubmerged, none of these attacks or bonuses are in effect, and the Monkey Sub will shoot moderately seeking darts that deal 1 damage and have 2 pierce every 0.75 seconds.
Crosspathing is generally advantageous as the default Bloontonium Reactor can remove Camo from all Bloon types, but cannot damage Lead Bloons. Barbed Darts adds 20 pierce to the radiation attack, while Heat-tipped Darts brings the total pierce up to 100 and allows the Reactor to damage Leads with +1 damage to Lead and DDT bloons. Twin Guns and Airburst Darts increase the attack speed of the reactor by ~17% and ~33% respectively. These upgrades will also apply the normal bonuses to the unsubmerged attacks.
Neither the attack damage nor cooldown bonus will stack for overlapping radiation zones of other Bloontonium reactors, but the pierce will. When overlapping with an Energizer, the Energizer attacks and cooldown bonuses will take priority.
Bloontonium Reactor changes the submarine into a fully enclosed black submarine, presumably a nuclear submarine powered by Bloontonium. The submarine's backside and front both feature green radioactive symbols, oriented such that the pointy ends point towards the submarine's telescope. When submerged, nearby water glows with the color of the radiation, and regularly generates sonar scans that visually animate at the same rate as Submerge and Support. Normally, the glowing radiation from the nearby water and sonar scans are colored green, but with the 4-2-0 crosspath, they are colored red.
When crosspathed with Barbed Darts or Heat-tipped Darts, the telescope lens becomes red, and with Heat-Tipped Darts the front of the submarine's body around the radioactive symbol is given a red paintwork. Crosspathing with Twin Guns or Airburst Darts adds a pair of guns to the submarine, while Airburst Darts adds a yellow paintwork to the back sides of the submarine.
The Bloontonium Reactor attacks by creating a circular zone of radiation that rapidly deals damage to large swathes of bloons while also removing the Camo property from Bloons and providing 15% reduced ability cooldowns to water towers. The radioactive zone attacks every 0.3s (0.255s with 4-0-1 or 0.191s with 4-0-2), and have 50 pierce (70 with 4-1-0, 100 with 4-2-0). The decamo portion of the radioactive zone has 100 pierce (+20 with 4-1-0 or +50 with 4-2-0) and the attack speed of such is tied to the radioactive zone attack. The base range of that radioactive zone matches the base range of the Sub, at 52.
Crosspathing plays a major role in a submerged Bloontonium Reactor's overall popping power. Path 2 crosspaths increase pierce by +30 and +20 respectively, stacking additively for 70 and 100 pierce. Path 3 crosspaths reduce attack cooldown of the radioactive attack by a multiplier of 0.85x and 0.75x respectively, giving an extra ~17% and ~33% attack speed respectively, and stacking multiplicatively for a total of ~17% and ~57% bonus attack speed.
Neither the attack damage nor cooldown bonus will stack for overlapping radiation zones of multiple Bloontonium reactors, but the pierce will. When overlapping with an Energizer, the Energizer attacks and cooldown bonuses will take priority.
An unsubmerged Bloontonium Reactor operates exactly like a Sub without submersion. Crosspaths alter an unsubmerged Sub's dart attack, giving normal bonuses.
Bloontonium Reactor targets bloons using the standard targeting priorities, but also receives the Submerge targeting option. Its main attack while unsubmerged shoots straight movement projectiles that can moderately seek at bloons.
- Submerge: Submerges the submarine, letting it create only submersible attacks instead of its other attacks. Initially gains only decamo, but can also gain additional benefits upon upgrading. When given Bloontonium Reactor or Energizer, the submarine gains an AoE effect that decamos and pops bloons.
- First: Targets the first bloon visible within its range.
- Last: Targets the last bloon visible within its range.
- Close: Targets the closest bloon visible within its range.
- Strong: Targets the strongest bloon visible within its range.
- Updated as of Version 32.0. Listed prices exclude external buffs, any sacrifices, and Monkey Knowledge.
Behavior and Interactions
Bloontonium Reactor deals damage by creating a circular zone that uniformly applies damage to Bloons whose midpoints are within its range. Even large blimps like the BAD will not be damaged unless this condition is met. The radiation damage type is Shatter, meaning the reactor can pop all bloons including frozen bloons, but not Leads. Heat-tipped Darts allows all reactor attacks to pop leads, thus changing that damage type to Normal. It also deals +1 damage to lead bloons (including DDT ). In addition, the radiation damage can attack Camo Bloons before the Decamo pulse acts on a Camo Bloon. The decamo pulses are considered Universal Decamo, which allows it to decamo any bloon type.
When first switching between targetting options, the Bloontonium Reactor can attack directly after being set to submerge, or unsubmerge, allowing for extra damage to be squeezed in between attack pulses. But for subsequent switches in target priority, the radiation and regular dart attacks will not fire faster than their respective rates.
Other Notable Interactions
For a full list of all standard tower Interactions, click here.
- Water Tower abilities affected include: First Strike Capability, Monkey Pirates, Pirate Lord, and water-placed Pat Fusty and Admiral Brickell's abilities.
- When unsubmerged, the Reactor Sub can not see Camo Bloons, so Advanced Intel Subs will not attack Camo Bloons in its radius.
- Naval Upgrades Monkey Knowledge will grant all Reactor attacks +1 pierce, but Quad Burst only affects the unsubmerged attacks.
- The range, and therefore zone of damage can be increased by range buffs like those provided by the Monkey Village.
- The Bloontonium Reactor is eligible for buffs provided by the Alchemist, Engineer, and most other buffing towers.
- The Bloontonium Reactor can be redeployed Support Chinook and Special Poperations Heli Pilot. With Door Gunner Monkey Knowledge, Special Poperations can carry the Reactor Sub and it will either shoot darts, or use Radiation depending on its target priority at pick-up.
The Bloontonium Reactor is a solid support tower and decent zone damage dealer to most bloon types. On maps with water pools that give it adequate track coverage, the Reactor can be a very reliable decamo tower. Reducing ability cooldowns on nearby water towers is a nice added bonus. Conversely, the Reactor has extremely weak single-target damage. It is not built to damage Ceramic and MOAB-class bloons. As a result, the Bloontonium Reactor excels at Race Events, early rounds, and acts as a stepping stone to Energizer.
For early game and use in races, place the Bloontonium Reactor in water that is close to as much track as possible. Ideally, this section of track is continuous, so Regrow Bloons do not get a chance to regrow while exiting and reentering. Crosspathing is highly recomended as the 4-2-0 crosspaths provides Lead damage and higher pierce, while the 4-0-2 path allows for greater DPS. Coupling these with a Beserker Brew or Stronger Stimulant is also an efficient way of garnering extra pops. In addition, stalling towers such as the Glue Gunner and Ice Tower further maximize the time the Reactor has to damage Bloons. If being used for the ability cooldown bonus and Decamo effect, shifting the sub away from land where can accomodate many neighboring water towers is useful. It does not need maximum track coverage to ensure that no camouflage is left untouched.
In gamemodes like CHIMPS, as well as general Late Game and Freeplay, the Bloontonium Reactor is generally a poor tower choice as it fails to provide the damage needed for dense MOAB rushes. In addition, the cooldown bonus is rendered obsolete once the Energizer is bought. Its improved local and global buff effects override the tower buff of all Bloontonium Reactors on screen.
- There is almost no scenario where it would be beneficial to buy more than 1 Bloontonium Reactor. Multiple Reactors can not stack in the same area, and if being used for coverage of multiple paths, a cheaper long-range tower such as Hydra Rocket Pods would be more efficient.
- Crosspaths for submerged Bloontonium Reactor are highly advised. The middle path offers higher pierce and lead-popping power, where the bottom path allows for higher DPS.
- On many occasions though, 4-0-0 is enough, as the tower does not do much damage in the late-game, and is mainly for reliable decamo and faster water-based ability cooldowns.
- However, note that a submerged 4-0-2 Bloontonium Reactor can solo regular bloons below Ceramic with ease, while support may be required to make it easier to pop the Ceramics or to damage Leads.
- 4-2-0 may be superior over 4-0-2 against very dense rounds or on Race Events that enable Bloontonium Reactors, or just to deal with large weaker groups or pop Leads.
- A submerged Bloontonium Reactor can decamo a very high amount of bloons per decamo pulse, 100 by default plus up to +50 with 4-2-0. However, the radioactive attack itself only has a base pierce of 50. This can be increased to 70 with the Barbed Darts upgrade and 100 with Heat-tipped Darts.
- The submerged Sub's attack does not stack with other Subs in the radius.
- If switching between Submerge and another targeting option at correct speeds, the Bloontonium Reactor can apply both attacks, increasing the overall DPS of the Reactor.
- Submerging a Bloontonium Reactor has a very quick decamo pulse rate; it decamos bloons in range every 0.3 seconds, enough to decamo virtually any bloon passing by. When combined with Path 3 crosspathing, not only will this increase the decamo pulse rate, it will also increase the radioactive attack with it.
- Using the Reactor to decrease ability cooldown of First Strike Capability allows for an easier double First Strike activation, especially on shorter maps or where the First Strike can only be bought very late.
- Note that using the Reactor as the main decamo tower may have issues on Round 100, where the BAD can pop at an unfavorable spot releasing DDTs that are not decamouflaged.
- Due to the relatively quick attack rate, a submerged Bloontonium Reactor pairs well with Ice Shards when it comes to standard-bloon-popping power.
- The limited decamo pierce shouldn't matter in any situation other than Race Events.
When changing to Submerge target priority:
- [Sonar pulse]
When switching from Submerge to other priorities:
- [Wave sound]
- Bloontonium Reactor may be a pun on the term Plutonium Reactor.
- Despite the radiant energy-like appearance of its attack, the Bloontonium reactor is able to pop Purple Bloons.
Balance Changes (Trivia)
- In BTD5, the Bloontonium Reactor had infinite popping power. In BTD6, however, the damage pierce was reduced to 50 per pulse (or 30 prior to Version 2.0, or 70 pierce from Version 2.0 to Version 23.0).
- Prior to Version 29.0, Bloontonium Reactor could pop Lead Bloons regardless of crosspath, despite Lead being a popular shield against nuclear radiation in real life. Version 29.0 added this nerf to bring the middle crosspath into relevance.