|“||Super cold aura that slows Bloons that come near it.||”|
|~ BTD6 description|
In BTD6, this upgrade is substantially different from the BTD4-BTD5 counterpart. Unlike earlier games, Arctic Wind doesn't come with extra range (although its succeeding upgrade Snowstorm does), it slows nearby frozen-vulnerable bloons by 50% (instead of 66% in earlier games), allows nearby land towers to be placed on water within range of the Arctic Wind, and has increased but limited pierce, increasing pierce from 40 to 100.
Arctic Wind has a unique capability of allowing any tower, including land towers, on top of nearby water. This also includes Sun Temples and the True Sun God, which apparently do not collapse into the water on which they are placed. If used to place a Support Chinook or Special Poperations Heli Pilot on water and is moved by that helicopter, both towers will be sold, even if there is no selling in the current game.
It costs $2720 on Easy, $3200 on Medium, $3455 on Hard, and $3840 on Impoppable.
One of the main uses of Arctic Wind is to expand land on maps where there are bad land spots, particularly Peninsula and Spice Islands. Its range can be further increased with a Primary Training Village and by upgrading Arctic Wind to the Snowstorm upgrade. Not only will land towers be able to be placed in the radius of an Arctic Wind, water towers may also be placed in the radius of an Arctic Wind too.
The slowdown from Arctic Wind has been nerfed considerably in BTD6; it now only deals a 50% slowdown. However, it still remains a viable option for slowing down large hordes of incoming bloons without relying on projectile attacks or abilities.
- Try using a 0-3-2 Arctic Wind to utilize the extra coverage of the slowdown aura and the ice platforms. In fact, adding Larger Radius provides roughly +25% range for the Ice Monkey, a considerably large amount in many situations, especially without the "Icy Chill" MK
- Because Arctic Wind's slowdown aura cannot slow down Whites or Zebras, additional support such as a Glue Gunner with Glue Splatter or Glue Hose may be required to provide the necessary extra slowdown.
Update History (BTD6)Edit
Arctic Wind pierce increased (30 --> 100)
Arctic Wind cost decreased ($6500 --> $5000)
Arctic Wind cost decreased ($5000 --> $3200)
Due to the nature of the water-freezing portion of the Arctic Wind's radial arctic wind, it has caused numerous bugs, often a number of them game-breaking. The following bugs have been so far discovered:
- This section is incomplete. You can help by expanding it.
- The oldest and most well-known bug involving Arctic Wind is the "illegal strategy", which involves using a Support Chinook to move the Arctic Wind to another location to sell the land towers placed in the water. During mid-to-late 2019, many popular Custom Challenges used this bug to become used. Although the "illegal strategy" is not an actual bug but is somewhat more of an intended interaction, it is a very unintended feature of the Arctic Wind, and therefore is still counted as a bug for that reason.
- On Version 16.1 (?), there was a critical game-breaking bug where selling an Arctic Wind on certain maps with an unplaceable land spot on the very centre of the map would sell more than once.
- In BTD6, it will create a ice platform to put land towers in water. It can be really useful in maps with lots of water. If the Arctic Wind is sold, everything on top of its ice platform will be sold as well.
- According to a Ninja Kiwi blog on July 21st 2020, Ninja Kiwi considers Arctic Wind platforms to be a regret. Link.
- Arctic Wind's slowdown aura can slow down Leads regardless of whether it has Metal Freeze or not.